Star Lounger
    Thanks

XP & exclusive use (Access2000)

Hi gang, I haven't been here for a few weeks since all you wonderful people helped me with the database I did for my ** Possible SPAM post - please alert a Moderator (2)** to track Hepatitis patients. Now, the person who is going to use it, has put the database on a laptop. She will be working from home so I need to put a password on the database. I've done this many times and did it at home on my PC which has XP and it works fine. But here at work, it won't allow me to set the database to open for exclusive use only. I followed that little MS helper thingie that says to open the database from File, Open, and right click on the arrow next to open and choose "Exclusive". When I do it here, it displays the menu and I choose exclusive but then when I try to set the password, I get the same error message that says I need to set the database to open for exclusive use only. I even had our IT guy try it and he has the same problem. (Makes me feel good when he can't figure it out either, haha!) But we do need to solve this problem and I thought since you all have been so helpful in the past, you may have run across this also. I did make sure that under Advanced options, exclusive is chosen there also.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: XP & exclusive use (Access2000)

Laura, if you set the default open mode to Exclusive in Tools | Options... | Advanced, the action of the "Open" button in the open dialog is to open the database for exclusive use, and the action of the "Exclusive" item from the dropdown list (which now has a check box next to it) is to turn Exclusive off. In other words, the setting in Advanced has swapped the action of "Open" and "Exclusive". (Don't you just love Microsoft!)

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: XP & exclusive use (Access2000)

Thanks so much, Hans. Just proves my theory that Microsoft is Hell and Bill Gates is the devil. Never would have figured that problem out in a million years without your help.