Thread: Indexes (2000)

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Indexes (2000)

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of a good tutorial/reference for creating indexes. I have a vague & general understanding of what I should index, I think, (though not exactly how they work) and I would love something to begin to guide me through the intricacies as I begin to look at performance issues. (i.e., the db is slower than I want...)

Thanks in advance,
    Karl

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Indexes (2000)

Most of the good reference books have a section on table design that talks about indexes - two I like are the Access Developer's Handbook by Litwin, Getz, et. al. and Allison Balter's Mastering Access 2000 Development. As a good rule of thumb, any primary key, and any foreign key should probably have an index. In addition, any field that you want to do joins on should also be indexed. Access 2000 wants to index any Long Integer field, so you can get more indexes than you want if you have lots of those kinds of fields, but otherwise it often does a decent job of indexings things if you let it. Hope this helps. Post back if you want to pursue this further.
    Wendell

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Wendell,
    I was also wondering, is it best to create an index for specific fields you want searched via asp. So if I had a field called "Emails", then would this be best to be indexed so the asp search engine script can quickly retrieve the relevant data from the access table? (assuming a user is searching for emails)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Just replied to a post on the AccessD list, which explains the workings of an index in a practical example.

http://www.wolfwares.com/accessd/pos...asp?Post=43996

Super Moderator
    Thanks

In all probability, yes. As long as it is a text field or a number field, if you are using it with a criteria (WHERE clause in SQL), performance will be much quicker with an index. (By "Emails" I presume you are referring to an email address, which should be a relatively short text string.)
    Wendell