Thanks

No Default Fonts Available (AccessXP Sp2)

Never really noticed before, but earlier today I opened a table in one of my Access databases and the font had switched to Courier (I think). Previously, I had set all datasheets to display Arial 10 pt. When I went to Tools/Options/Datasheet/Default Font and clicked in the Default Font dropdown, no fonts were visible - ie. I could not choose any default font. I then went back to the table and was able to change the font (for that particular table) from the Format/Font menu. Any other table (or query) that I opened, however, displayed in Courier.

I then did a "detect and repair" but nothing changed.

Since I also have Access 2000 on my machine, I checked it out and all of my installed fonts were available under Tools/Options/Datashett/Default Font.

Yesterday, I installed the "fixed" version of the infamous 811493 patch from Windows Update. Thinking that this might have had something to do with my problem, I performed a System Restore to a point prior to 811493. After I restarted, I again opened several databases with Access XP. The fonts for all of the tables or queries that I viewed had reverted back to the Arial font, but the font list for setting the default font was still blank.

Following a reboot, however, and opening Access, once again all of the datasheet view had reverted to Courier.

If anyone help with a solution to populate the default font list (or at least point to a registry key that I might alter), I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,

John
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: No Default Fonts Available (AccessXP Sp2)

I can't find much that seems relevant to your problem. In descending order of probability:

1. Having a very large number of fonts installed can cause problems. Access 2002 seems to be more sensitive to this than previous versions and other Office apps. If you have many megabytes of fonts in your Fonts folder, try uninstalling some of them.
    2. Accidentally turning on support for Arabic without having installed the necessary resouces: check if the registry contains a value for 1025 in HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftOffice10.0Common LanguageResources. If the value is "On", try changing it to "Off".

Thanks

Re: No Default Fonts Available (AccessXP Sp2)

Hans,

You are a genius! I didn't have support for Arabic enabled but I did have quite a few fonts installed (didn't realize I had that many). I did a thorough house cleaning of the fonts on my system, and voila.............everything back to normal. Thanks so much Hans.

John
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions