Lounger
    Thanks

Automatically Set Reminders (Outlook/Access 2K)

Hi

I have imported an Access table, using the Outlook Import wizard, to semi-automate task creation. All works OK, except Outlook will not automatically create reminders. I have set the option via Tools, Options, Advanced Options - set reminders for new tasks with due dates. This does not appear to work. I have tried mapping various different combinations of date fields from Access to the Outlook Due Date and Reminder fields, without success. Is there another field I need to set, i.e. can I map a "Yes/No" field to the Reminder On/Off field? If so, does the Access field value need to be 0 or -1, yes or no, true or false to get it to work?

What I'm trying to avoid is having to go into the task list and click the Reminder bell for each newly created item.

One other question - I have mapped a field called "Office Location" to the "Contacts" field but the contents don't appear in that field in the task list unless I actually click on the list. Shouldn't it appear automatically, like the other fields?

(Is it easier to export from Access into Outlook or, import into Outlook from Access?)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Sue

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Automatically Set Reminders (Outlook/Access 2K)

In VBA there are two Task Reminder Properties you need to set:

[Edit, sorry, I must have initially looked at Properties for the wrong object]
    objTaskItem.ReminderSet = <Boolean>
    objTaskItem.ReminderTime = <Date & Time>

You may have to figure how to map these by setting a few and then exporting them to a CSV. Or, you could write some brief code to turn all Task Item Reminders on.

Manually, if you got into View, Customize Current, Fields, from the "Select Available Fields From" dropdown, select "All Task Fields", select Reminder, Add it to the displayed fields, OK out, you will have a new column with the Reminder Bell as the column heading it in the Summary Task view, and you can turn them on (or off) just by clicking that field.

I can't answer your mapping question. For your last question, see <post#=262918>post 262918</post#>.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Here's the VBA code example, except I don't know what your source for a Reminder Date and Time will be:

Sub SetTaskReminder()
    Dim nsNS As NameSpace
    Dim fldrTaskFldr As MAPIFolder
    Dim itmTask As TaskItem

Set nsNS = Application.GetNamespace("MAPI")
    Set fldrTaskFldr = nsNS.GetDefaultFolder(olFolderTasks)
    For Each itmTask In fldrTaskFldr.Items
    On Error Resume Next
    itmTask.ReminderTime = <font color=red>Now + 1</font color=red> ' which is always same time tomorrow
    ' from when the code runs, which will not be what you want
    itmTask.ReminderSet = True
    itmTask.Save
    Next itmTask
    Set fldrTaskFldr = Nothing
    Set nsNS = Nothing
    End Sub
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

Lounger
    Thanks

Hi John,

Many thanks for the code. All I had to do was bit of remapping and created a ReminderTime field in Access, as for some reason, Outlook wasn't picking up the default Reminder Time setting I had made via Tools, Options, (presumably the code overwrites it?) and now all works perfectly.

All I need to do now is to figure out how to do this with a click of a button from Access - the next part of the learning curve!
    Thanks very much for your help!

Regards
    Sue