New Lounger
    Thanks

Add a filepath to an email (Office XP)

Hi,
    I just changed from Office 2000 to XP and I seem to have lost my ability to indicate a link to a network location in an email message. For example, I used to be able to say "the doc is ready for you on xxxfs2yymm" etc. Typing the "" used to immediately indicate to Outlook that I was entering a hyperlink. However, I cannot do this anymore and can't figure out if there's a new way to do this, or if it's just not possible anymore.
    I did try just tagging the text as "Hyperlink" but this just makes it look like one, not actually be a hyperlink.
    Does anybody know the answer to this?
    Thank you!

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Add a filepath to an email (Office XP)

Some additional information: I did find out that if I choose from the drop down toolbar menu for the message to be rich text, not HTML, I can manually type in a link. However, I cannot cut and paste a link anymore into an email message.
    So I have two questions:
    1) How do I get my messages to all, by default, be rich text?
    2) Why can't I cut and paste a link with proper syntax into a msg. anymore and have it show up as a hyperlink?
    Thanks.

Star Lounger
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Ha - tricked ya! Outlook is being uber-helpful. While you are typing in HTML format, it colours and underlines your link, but it remains text so you can edit it. When you send ther email, it becomes a real link that teh recipient can click on. Try it - send one to yourself.

If you must default to RichText, change it in the Outlook Options - Mail Format tab. Its something like "Compose new messages in this format: "

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Steve. I actually tried this and it both worked and didn't. It didn't automatically assume (as OL2000 did) that "" meant that whatever followed would be a link. It didn't color it when I was typing, or when I received my own message.
    If I manually tagged my filepath with a hyperlink style, then, as you said, I could receive the message with an actual link.
    Any suggestions to get Outlook to automatically tag anything starting with "" as a hyperlink?
    Thanks again.

Thanks

Try:
    file://c:mypathmyfile.doc

After a carriage return or space, this turns into a hyperlink. You can then delete the
    file://
    prefix without it (apparently) affecting the hyperlink attributes.

(Not exactly automatic, but a start...)

Star Lounger
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Um, I not only checked on my PC (OL11), I even went over to check a colleague with OL2002, and practiced on both. It really does work the way I described - at least in our environment (grin). (WinXP Pro etc).

Hey I have an idea... Are you typing one with a space in it? If so, type, for example,
    <devemail1program files>
    When ya press enter or space, it takes out the <> and puts in the underline etc. But the link doesn't work until you send the email.

Other than that, I am out of ideas - GL.