5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Replace Pro with Std (XP SP-2)

I have a department which has changed the profile of a couple of their staff. As a result one user only needs the Std where as she had Pro and her manager needs the Pro (for Access). The manager has a laptop and the other PC is a desktop, so swapping the boxes is not an option.

Does anyone know if I need to uninstall the Pro version before installing the Std or will installing Std effectively remove Access?

TIA
    Granville

Thanks

Re: Replace Pro with Std (XP SP-2)

The installer may well get very confused, trying to "upgrade" the feature set from CDs it is going to say are the wrong thing. I suspect that uninstalling would be best. Particularly if the license keys are fundamentally tied to the flavor of the Office suite.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

In my experiences, it is definitely the best idea to uninstall one version before installing the other, just to avoid major headaches when it comes time to upgrade/update the Office installation. (And I consider this an 'absolute must' when upgrading from a 'Works Suite' to an Office installation of any variety.)

Without the reinstall, there is a very good chance that even though you've upgraded to the 'Pro' version the installer will insist on having the prior-version's install media inserted any time you run the Office Setup program -- whether it is for a Repair, Add/Remove Components, or installing downloaded patches. It is a little silly, but the various data1.msi files are not created equal, or even downward-compatable.

As to downgrading the Pro installation, if you find that it is necessary to remove Access you should have no problem using the Add/Remove Components setup option to do this. Just set the Access group to 'Unavailable' and that should remove the program and all its support from the computer. It shouldn't be necessary to downgrade the rest of the Office suite to the 'Standard' version.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Jeff and David,

Thank you both, it is as I excepted. Ah well, I was just trying to save a little time.
    Granville