3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Unable to change Power Scheme (XP Pro SP1)

I am using Windows XP Pro at work and would like to change the Power Scheme from the default. When I try this I get the following error message:

Power policy manager unable to set the active policy.
    Not all privileges are assigned to the caller.

I log onto a Windows 2000 domain and our IT adminstrator has made my domain user account a member of the Adminstrators local group on the laptop.

Any ideas most appreciated.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Unable to change Power Scheme (XP Pro SP1)

<hr>...adminstrator has made my domain user account a member of the Adminstrators local group on the laptop...<hr>
    But then, when you fire up the machine, I think you need to logon to Windows at the local machine level, NOT the domain. I don't have a domain here at home, so I can't post a screenshot to succinctly show what I'm trying to say. You can have administrator rights on the LOCAL machine that you don't have on the DOMAIN, but you need to be logged on accordingly.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Al's correct - when you log on to the domain, the security policies set by that logon take precedence over local privileges.
    -Mark

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks guys,
    If this is the answer then unfortunately I'm no better off. Even when using the machine out of the office we are not able to logon locally to the machine, we still still logon to the domain - I guess it uses a cached copy of our security credentials.

Its amazing how sometimes the simplest things seem impossible - I only want to be able to watch a long(ish) video presentation without the screen switching off : )

Oh well

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

As I said in my earlier post, I don't have a "domain" machine here to check this on, but..... It sounds like you're using the Welcome Screen when you boot Windows. If you go into Control Panel, Users, and UN-CHECK the Welcome Screen box, the resulting logon window ("traditional") should have a pick-list box from which you can choose either your normal domain or the local computer. It's difficult to remember this stuff in-the-dark, so if I'm not explaining this correctly, I hope someone will jump in here.....

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, but there's a bit of a misunderstanding. There are NO local accounts on the machine except for the local administrator, its our company policy.

I guess it normally works just fine, I just have a habit of coming across scenarios where these things get inconvenient.