New Lounger
    Thanks

Substituting my docname for Document1.doc (Word)

Our office has strict file naming standards and I'd like to implement them within our template structure. When a new document opens, it is called Document(n).doc. Is there any way to change this? I'm thinking of some appropriate code in the AutoNew macro. I can't change ActiveDocument.Name because that is a read-only attribute and I don't want to use SaveAs if I can avoid it, as the user may not want to save the document yet. Actually, I don't much care about the document name when opened, it should have the suggested name in the SaveAs dialog box when the user does save though. Any ideas?

Jeff.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Substituting my docname for Document1.doc (Word)

You can override the built-in action of File | Save and File | SaveAs... by creating macros named FileSave and FileSaveAs. For example:

Sub FileSaveAs()
    With Dialogs(wdDialogFileSaveAs)
    If InStr(ActiveDocument.FullName, "") = 0 Then
    .Name = "MyDoc"
    End If
    .Show
    End With
    End Sub

Sub FileSave()
    If InStr(ActiveDocument.FullName, "") = 0 Then
    FileSaveAs
    Else
    ActiveDocument.Save
    End If
    End Sub

The macros test if a document has never been saved by looking for a backslash in the full name. Instead of a fixed name ("MyDoc.doc"), you can use a variable. If you store these macros in a template, they will be used by all documents based on that template; if you put them in a global template, they will be used by all documents unless overridden.

If you like, you can set the caption of the active window in Document_New (or AutoNew), but that won't influence the siggested name for saving.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Substituting my docname for Document1.doc (Word)

Hans, that looks just fantastic. I'm very grateful.

Many, many thanks... Jeff.