New Lounger
    Thanks

Keeping an ASK field after a mail merge (Win2K/Word2K)

Here's a question, and without the search feature I cannot look to see if anyone has figured this out [img]/forums/images/smilies/sad.gif[/img]

I have a main merge doc that I use to build a letter, and the user wants to be able to enter values after it is generated and recalculate a section of the document (for the sake of argument, let's say it is the tax rate used in a calculation).

I know that I can use a table, but is there a way to keep an ASK field (or something equivalent) in the main merge document that is NOT asked during the merge, but is available for the user to refresh and invoke after the merge?

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Re: Keeping an ASK field after a mail merge (Win2K/Word2K)

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by macropod on 12-Jun-03 17:48. Last para corrected!)</P>Hi Steven,

One way of achieving this is to place the ASK field inside an IF field that tests for a condition that is set up via a SET field. Changing the state of the condition that is set up via a SET field can then be used to switch the ASK field on and off. For example:
    {SETTrigger ""}
    followed by:
    {IF{Trigger}= "" {ASK BkMrk "Prompt"} ""}
    will stop the question from being asked, but changing the SET statement to:
    {SET Trigger " "}
    will cause the question to be asked (note the change from "" to " " in the SET field).

Note that the SET field will have to remain in the document. Otherwise the 'Trigger' bookmark will disappear and the IF/ASK fields will stop working.

Cheers
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]