3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Word to Access (XP)

Is there any reasonable way to move data stored in Word to Access? A city's forms, such as purchase requisitions, are in Word - based tables. One department wants to have its requisitions tracked in Access, but all that data is stored in Word documents. I'm trying to avoid re-keying existing data. Thoughts?
    Thanks

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Word to Access (XP)

One option would be to copy your table in Word, then paste it into Excel (the table should be reproduced quite nicely in Excel), and then import from or link to this Excel workbook in Access. Depending on the layout of your table(s), you may have to mess with them a little in Excel before importing into Access (e.g., Access expects the field names in the first row and every other row will be treated as records in the Access table), but this should allow you to avoid re-keying the data.

Holler if you need more detailed help.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

You are right! It does take some fiddling, but I think I can make it work. Thanks.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Another option is to use Automation to extract data from Word directly into Access. Bryan Carbonelle has some samples posted on his website - http://www3.sympatico.ca/carbonnb/bryan/utilities.html.
    Wendell