Star Lounger
    Thanks

networking 2 XPs and 1 Win98SE

I have recently added my laptop with XP pro to my network. Desktop #1 has XP pro and Desktop #2 has Win98 SE.

I can access network between laptop and Desktop #1.
    Desktop #1 can see laptop but laptop cannot see Desktop #1.
    Laptop has internet access through my cable router - so the connection between it and Desktop #1 is real.
    Desktop #2 does not see laptop.

When I try to access files from laptop using Desktop #1 I get an error message "... files not accessible. You may not have permission to use this network resource. Contac the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. Access is denied."

I have tried to access the laptop as Administrator or with my own log-on name in XP but get the same message.
    I've gone through the network wizard in XP to set things up.
    All folders on all partitioned drives are shared.
    All protocols [e.g. TCP/IP] in network properties are checked.

I know there must be something simple that I have forgotten to do but I cannot figure out what it is! Any suggestions on where to look? I'm sure it must have to do with this "permissions" thing but don't know where to go.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: networking 2 XPs and 1 Win98SE

Thinking that my problem might be that the laptop had a redundent name [I pulled out the old, bad, HD which had Win98SE on it - it had been part of the network with that HD and I used the same computer name for the laptop when I swaped out the old HD for the new] I changed its name.

Still have the same problem.

But I also have both names for the laptop appearing in my network connections!

what I'm thinking now is that I would like to wipe out any record of the network on the laptop and start over. Is there a way to do this and start hooking up a fresh, new network?

Lounger
    Thanks

SImple question for you, Are all three computers on the same workgroup? Can the two desktops access the internet through the router? It seems that your laptop may have a differant workgroup name and needs to added to the workgroup of the two deskttops.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes to all.
    I don't know what I've done but I have increased access to some folders/computers. though Comptuer #1 is not seen at all by laptop, laptop and computer #2 can now share some files. what they can't share is anything in my Program Files, Documents and Settings, Windows and other such folders.