2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

MS Access as a Relational DB (97/2000)

I was told today that MS Access is not truly a relational DB. Is this true? If so, can anyone point me to sources that clarify this issue? FWIW, we

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: MS Access as a Relational DB (97/2000)

"I was told today that MS Access is not truly a relational DB"

No - that's not true. Access is a relational database. In a networked environment Access is not a "client/server" database like -say- Oracle or SQLServer - where queries are executed on the server and just the result set is sent down the network. Instead, if Access is set up as a front-end / back-end it really acts like a file server: all the data referenced by a query, form, report, etc is sent over the network and the query is executed on the local workstation. Obviously on a single-user database there is no distinction here, although I don't personally know anyone running Oracle on a single PC.

Some Access databases are set up as non-relational databases - they are a large flat-file, which is just the equivalent of an Excel spreadsheet set up as a database, but with better manners. It could be that whoever made that remark was thinking of that sort of Access database, but that's due to a programmer decision (or ability) not an inherent limitation of the database package...

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: MS Access as a Relational DB (97/2000)

Dean's response is spot on. Who ever said Access is not relational is mistaken. There are certainly issues with Access, just as there are with any database software, but pound for pound it's the best bang for the buck of any product out there. In addition, we think it is the fastest way to develop a front-end for SQL Server, Oracle. DB2 or whatever other database server you want to pick, and by a factor of at least 2 or 3.
    Wendell