Lounger
    Thanks

Extracting a 'picture ' from a Word document (Word 97 and later)

A general question: Word allows insertion of "picture" files into a document and you can cut and paste picture files between documents. What if you find a picture in a word document that you want to save as a .jpg or .gif or other picture extension or even it's original extension before it was inserted??

I have not been able to find a way to select a picture in a word document and do a "save as" (name).jpg or any other picture extension.

Have I missed something? Comments welcome.

Thanks

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Extracting a 'picture ' from a Word document (Word 97 and later)

I usually just select the image and copy it.
    You can then paste it into paintprush or similar and save it in any of the supported formats.

It helps if you play around with the image sizings in word as using this method, you will only get the level of detail that is available on-screen in word, and resizing(enlarging) the final saved bmp/jpg will result in image degradation.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

You can cut (or copy) & paste it into any graphics program. Paint, MS Photo Editor, & Irfanview (freeware), all come to mind.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

There are several issues here. First, it depends on whether the picture is a raster/bitmap image or a vector-based drawing. Most "paint" programs deal with the former OK and the copy/paste methods will work. You can then save to whatever format is available. One "gotcha" is to check that the picture is displayed properly (full size) in Word before copying, if that's what you want.

With the latter format, most paint programs don't handle scalable vector objects very well; however, many will paste in a raster version of the image from the clipboard OK. This will not be scalable though. Failing that, you can always scale the vector image to the size you want in Word, then do a screen grab and paste that into a paint program.

The ones I use most are IrfanView and Windows own Paint. These save only in raster formats (jpg, gif, png etc.)

Alan

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Once the graphic is embedded in Word then it is not so simple to get it back out without damage by conversion.

If the file is a bitmap, I have found MS PhotoEditor to be the only bitmap editor to take the graphic back (via a copy and "Paste as New Image") with the same amount of pixel data that it went into Word with. All other bitmap editors I have tried give me different (worse) results depending on the stretching done to the image within Word. This means that I only ever use MS PhotoEditor to grab bitmaps out of Word. I don't like editing bitmaps in this tool though so I usually save that out as something else to edit it in a better tool.

Another way to get bitmaps out is to save the Word document in HTML format which will automatically create JPGs or GIFs from all graphics in a folder in the same location.

Getting vector graphics out of Word is trickier and generally pretty unsuccessful in terms of text blocks staying as one object but otherwise will come out reasonably well. The success you have will depend on the tool the graphic was created in, whether someone double clicked the graphic in Word (which converts it) and what tool you are pasting it into - and that is excluding the multiple ways the graphic could get into Word. The key is "Suck it and See" and try lots of ways to find the best solution for your combination of variables.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Extracting a 'picture ' from a Word document (

Thanks to the responders. I now have a better understanding and know it is possible to extract; just have to be careful.

Thanks

What I find most peculiar is that Word keeps track of exactly where it got the graphic and what it is. This is apparent if you use the Recover Text From Any File filter; you'll see the original file names still in there. I don't know why Microsoft has never provided an easy way to extract them embedded graphics. I guess it isn't a common request.