2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Help! (Outlook 2002, SP-2)

Suddenly Outlook isn't able to connect to my ISP. I can get on the Internet, but I can't get e-mail.

The error message (number: 0x80042109) says that Outlook is unable to connect to the outgoing (SMTP) e-mail server.

Microsoft says it's the ISP's problem (SBC Yahoo). SBC Yahoo says it's a Dell problem. Dell says it's an SBC Yahoo problem or a Microsoft problem. Other than that, the only thing they all agree on is that the settings are correct.

I even tried running Eudora and that didn't work either. What do I do now?

Thank you for your help. You're my last hope.

Thanks

Re: Help! (Outlook 2002, SP-2)

Okay, first, if you have unsent messages in your Outbox, try to drag them somewhere else so you can test whether you can reach your POP server to get incoming mail. It's not great being able to read but not send, but it's a start. If that works, it confirm that at least part of your settings are correct.

Regarding SMTP, if your settings match your ISP's requirements, things to think about include: (1) software firewall that you have set up to stop outbound SMTP requests (port 25 normally, or port 465 if secured); (2) virus scanner intercepting your attempts to send mail; (3) "stuck" message in the Outbox.

Hope this helps.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I'd check jscher's suggestions first. If they don't pay out, it may be a relay permission issue that is masked by a faulty error message. Is Yahoo your ISP that you log on to when you get on the Internet, or just your mail provider? If the latter, check with your real ISP to see if they've done anything recently.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

This is completely bizarre. I shut the computer off overnight and now it seems to be working. I opened Outlook and 25 messages came tumbling out. Plus, the four outgoing messages from yesterday got sent. I am baffled.

<<Regarding SMTP, if your settings match your ISP's requirements, things to think about include: (1) software firewall that you have set up to stop outbound SMTP requests (port 25 normally, or port 465 if secured); (2) virus scanner intercepting your attempts to send mail; (3) "stuck" message in the Outbox.>>

I shut off ZoneAlarm and Norton, to no avail. What are stuck messages and what does one do about them?

My thanks to you and the rest of the group for your help. Perhaps the threat of getting knowledgeable assistance forced Outlook to fly right.

Thanks

Sounds as though nothing is really stuck; the fix for a truly stuck message is to make a new PST and copy everything else over to it. Major headache.

It wouldn't surprise me if the problem was on SBC's end and they weren't owning up to it. (I know someone with an SBC connection who has had a number of service outages over the past few weeks.)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

<<It wouldn't surprise me if the problem was on SBC's end and they weren't owning up to it. (I know someone with an SBC connection who has had a number of service outages over the past few weeks.>>

It's discouraging to consider. But it would be a bit of a relief.

Thanks for the support.