2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Victimized by Office XP (XP Pro)

My four-month old Dell computer has been unstable ever since I upgraded to Office XP in February. "Support" from the Level 3 guys at Microsoft has only made things worse. This morning, Outlook dropped me off the face of the Internet and refuses to connect.

At this point, all anyone can suggest is reinstalling the operating system. What fun.

Can you tell me what I need to know/do to ensure that my system will be free of hobgoblins and other evil spirits after I reinstall?

Thank you. You're my only port in this particular storm.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Victimized by Office XP (XP Pro)

Those sound like excellent alternatives. Thank you.

Pardon my ignorance, but what do you mean by "doing a repair on Internet Explorer?" As far as I can tell, that's the only thing that seems to be working the way it's supposed to.

Does it matter that I'm using the Dell version of the XP OS instead of the bona fide WinXP? Will scannow and the other steps still work?

Banned Member
    Thanks

I removed that{ the Internet Explorer thing} after I reread your post. As for your WinXP CD, I know you can use the Scannow command, but I'm not sure if it will allow you to do an upgrade. I have never used that type before{Dell Version} to try an upgrade. But it's easy enough to find out. Just put in the CD and when it starts and the window comes up, see if there is an upgrade option and let me know. But the main thing is to do the sfc /scannow command and see if that fixes it. One other thing you might do is uninstall Outlook and reinstall it from your Office CD.

Banned Member
    Thanks

Before you do a complete reinstall put your WinXP CD in and go to start,run,and type in " sfc /scannow " make sure you leave the space between {sfc and /} and then click OK. This will scan your System for missing files and repair registry entries. If that doesn't work, put your WinXP CD in and choose the option " Upgrade" instead of a complete install and it will leave everything in tact and will just replace missing files and stuff. It works the same way as reinstalling except your installing over your existing and doing what you might call a Tuneup. Better to try those two things first then a complete clean install, unless thats something you just want to do.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Gracias for the reply.

I will test the disk as soon as I finish backing everything up.

<<One other thing you might do is uninstall Outlook and reinstall it from your Office CD.>>

I've done that about six times with "help" from techs at MS and Dell, all to no avail.

Lounger
    Thanks

Neal,

FYI - I have a Dell Dimension and in my experience with Dell the Win XP OS is not tweaked. Good luck! (Go Clemens tonight for number 300!!!).

LMD

Super Moderator
    Thanks

The OS may not be tweaked but the install process may be. It is most likely a restore type of disk, so read the screens real close and understand what you are saying YES to.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.