Star Lounger
    Thanks

Mixing chart types

Let's say I have a chart in PPT with 4 data series of 3 data points each.

I want 3 of the series to be in a stacked column and the 4th to be a column that displays beside the stack. I'd end up with 3 sets of stacked column/single column pairs.

I can use the dual-axis chart type to get the stack and the column, but they display on top of each other. I've tried playing with the gap width but the two columns are still centered over each other. I've tried playing with the overlap setting but then the stacked column isn't anymore.

Is there something like an "offset" setting that would let me separate the 2 sets of data?

Thanks!
    Sue

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Mixing chart types

Sue
    I'm not going to be able to help solve your problem except to suggest how to find someone who might be able to. PowerPoint charts seem to be a poor relation of Excel charting so Suggestion a) can you achieve what you want to do in an Excel chart? (and then obviously import the chart to PP) or Suggestion [img]/forums/images/smilies/cool.gif[/img] Cross post this on the Excel lounge where there's probably an Excel chart wiz who can help.
    Sorry I can't help directly.
    Silverback

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Brian,

Good suggestion!! I couldn't get Excell to do anything differently than PPT but I bet you're right...some Excel guru might know some charting wizardry.

Thanks!
    Sue

New Lounger
    Thanks

Sue
    Try this - it has worked for me -

If you have your data series in rows, then in cells A1 to A3, enter your data for the first stacked column.

Then enter data for the first separate column in cell B4.

Enter data for the second stacked column in cells C1 to C3.

Enter data for the second separate column in cell D4.

Finally, enter data for third stacked column in cells E1 to E3 and the last separate column data point in cell F4.

The stacked column chart type is applied to all of the data series, but you will find the fourth series will be offset, as you want it.

Cheers, Linda

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Linda,

That works! It's not exactly how I'd like...I'd like the paired columns to be right next to each other with the axis tick marks between the pairs, but hey, this is a lot closer than I could get before.

Thanks!
    Sue