New Lounger
    Thanks

Error Opening Access Data Base (Access 97)

I have about 60 people that use a database to search to past job data. The database resides on our server and the only thing that sits on the workstations is the Access 97 software and the shortcut to the database. My problem is that everybody but one person can open and use the database just fine. That one person was able to use it fine until I loaded the windows script host 5.6 on his computer for other purposes. Not it says the following error:

"The expression On Open you entered as the event property setting produced the following error: ActiveX component can't create object"

The strange thing is, I loaded the Windows Script Host onto quite a few computers but this was the only one that crashed afterwards. On this computer I have noticed that his DAO was version 3.5. Most of the others were version 3.51. Still some say the use 3.6 but it is missing and it still works perfectly. Does anyone have an idea? This has both myself and the programmer that created it stumped.

I have already tried reinstalling Access.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Error Opening Access Data Base (Access 97)

Do all the machines have the same service pack for Access 97 and the same Jet sp installed? I belive that DAO 3.51 was installed with the first service pack for either Office 97 or Jet 3.5. DAO 3.6 is the version that goes with Access 2000 and 2002.
    Charlotte

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Charlotte,
    When I go to "About" it says that they are all Access 97 SP2 so yes on the Access service pack, but I'm not sure about the Jet sp. Would I be incorrect in saying that the Jet SP would be installed with the Access SP? DAO 3.51 is not an option one this particular machine when I go to register the ActiveX controls, just 3.5.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You can download the latest update to Jet 3.5 from ACC97: Updated Version of Microsoft Jet 3.5 Available for Download

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, I'll try this and let you know. BTW, I just ran SR-2b service pack and it didn't fix it either.

New Lounger
    Thanks

You know, when I run these updates and restart nothing seems to be updating. I ran both the SR-2b SP and the Jet SP and neither gave me the option to register DAO 3.51. It still lists DAO 3.5 only. I ran them on a test computer too and it did update to 3.51. I'm really confused now? What would keep this from upgrading like this?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Did you ever get this problem resolved? (If you reply to your own message, some of us may not realize it's unresolved, as some depend on the email copy of the message to follow active threads.)
    Wendell

New Lounger
    Thanks

Actually, not yet. I've stopped working on it for now, but next I'm going to move all the DAO related DLL files to a temp directory and reinstall Office to see what happens. This particular person doesn't use our in-house DB's that often, so its low on the priority list for now.