chuckt

Prompted to insert a disk

I've got an problem that is driving me nuts--can't find the solution anywhere, including Microsoft Knowledge base. Running Windows 2000 Professional--Whenever I right-click on any file, I get a prompt to insert a disk in drive E (cd-rw)--before I can get the right-click functionality menu, I must close that error message box. If I insert a disk, the drive is quickly accessed after a right-click, then the right-click menu drops down. Something is fouled up in a registry entry, making the system think that drive e is active. Anybody know the registry hack to eliminate this? Obviously the system thinks that drive e is active for all
    right clicks. Thanks.

Thanks

Re: Prompted to insert a disk

Just a thought - are you running the Indexing Service?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

look in your recent list andremove all the links that point ot that drive. that's usually the cause of a: access...

chuckt

No, I am not running indexing service. Windows 2000 does have a recently accesed list under documents off of the start menu, however, at this time none point to the "F" drive, the CD-RW. I have experienced this behavior before--for example see Microsoft Knowledge Base article Q200510 re prompt for A drive from "Browse" as a known fault. In my situation, the prompt box has stopped appearing after a re-boot, but every time I right click a file or icon, the system briefly accesses the F drive before opening the right-click drop down menu. There must be a registry entry somewhere that is causing this. This is one of those needle in a haystack issues. Perhaps our collective minds can come up with something.

Thanks

Couple or three thoughts:
    Is there anything in your IE history pointing to files you may have viewed on your cd-drive?
    Have you installed any software that to runr equires a specific cd to be in the drive?
    Anything from your Start | Run | Open drop-down box pointing to a file on the cd-drive?