Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Opening text file (XP)

Our learning lab owns a small library of courseware from a particular vendor. The courseware is on CD-ROM, and that's how our students take the courses. We also give our students a printed "handout," which also came with the courseware. Some of these handouts cover as much as 20 printed pages. Quite frankly, most of our students ignore those lengthy documents. More useful would be a simple course outline of from one to four pages. Well, the vendor was kind enough to furnish just such an outline for all their courses. But there's a slight problem.

These outlines exist as "reports," and I can find them through the courseware administrator's menu. The application will let me view an outline via a viewer that's part of the software; it will also let me send the report to either a printer or to a file. What I really want to do is open that outline (or "report") in Word so I can monkey around with the formatting and print multiple copies. Well, I can print the outline as the vendor set it up. However, if I choose to output the outline to a file, all I get is computer gibberish when I try to open it. An outline that displays in English with less than two pages turns into a monster of several hundred pages when I try to open it with either Word or Wordpad.

I do get a converter dialog when I try to open it with Word, but none of the choices seems to work. Is there a workaround here, or has the vendor done a very good job of thwarting my efforts to monkey with their deathless prose?

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Opening text file (XP)

He has done a great job at basically making so that unless you have the same application as he does you cannot open or view it. What is the file ext? Also have you tried opening it with wordpad, or notepad. Sometimes it will contain jibberish at the top but if you scroll down you might actually find the text that you need and then you can copy it and paste it into word.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Lucas:
    Can you display the file with Quick View Plus, copy it, & then paste it? Just a wild shot.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Quick View Plus...whazzat?

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Yeah, I've had some luck with that approach before, but not this time. It's total gibberish, top to bottom. Too big for Notepad, and Wordpad displays just the noise. Extension: .txt.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi cesar3

You might try to install a new standard windows printer driver: Generic/Text Only. This will reduce the gibberish you get, but you still would have to sort the text out manually.

hedgehog

Thanks

Try printing to PDF and then copying and pasting from there. You have to do all the formatting again, but at least the print driver will handle the control codes for you.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Had one more idea, a shareware tool I used some time ago: Kleptomania.
    It allows to capture any text, that is displayed on your computer screen.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

The adobe idea sounds like it should work to me to. It seems like if it has a .txt ext then you should be able to view it with a wordpad or a viewer program. Try the adobe idea first and if that doens't work try downloading a viewer program.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Lucas:
    Quick View & Quick View Plus were distributed by Inso quite some time ago. I can't find the link right now. Quick View came installed with Win 95 & Win 98 (although it might have been hidden somewhere on the CD). I think QVP was the paid version. Anyway, they are file viewers & have several hundred different viewers &, therefore, can view most programs. I just checked Google & I think Inso may no longer make it. There seem to be other distributors for the Plus version.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

That's interesting. I'll have to get with my IT guru and find the Win98 installation disk. I couldn't find Quick View on the computer, so perhaps it didn't get installed. Thanks for the tip!