Thread: Numbering

dmk300

Numbering

How can I save a document that uses numbering or outlining, so that the number represented by the field code is replaced with the number. I have create many tests and eventually save them in ASCII format. I would like to use autonumbering and such, but can't figure out how to save it properly. In Excel it is replacing the formula with the results by using paste special. Any ideas?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Numbering

If the numbering is produced by fields you can convert the fields to text (unlink them) by selecting the entire document, and then keying Ctrl+Shift+F9.

dmk300

Thank you. Exactly what I needed

New Lounger
    Thanks

Gary, the Ctl-Sh-F9 trick doesn't seem to work for autonumbering -- at least of the sort found in Format / Bullets & Numbering / Outline Numbers tab. I'm trying to save a legal-numbered list to HTML, and thought your suggestion would save the day by first converting to "real" (ie, non-field) numbers. But alas, not so. Any other ideas?

rgc

It is surprisingly easy. Highlight the text you wish to convert the numbers in (could be the whole document) and run the following macro:

Sub ConvertNumbersToText()
    Selection.Range.ListFormat.ConvertNumbersToText
    End Sub

Post back if you need help with running macros

regards
    Grant Cartledge

Super Moderator
    Thanks

And along the lines of Grant's suggestion, the following code should work for the entire document, without needing to select anything:

ActiveDocument.ConvertNumbersToText (wdNumberAllNumbers)

Gary

New Lounger
    Thanks

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by gwhitfield on 01/01/18 02:01.</FONT></P>Grant & Gary, Thanks a lot. It worked! Now, with what you evidently know about Word, I'd be delighted if you'd take a crack at my inquiry about indexing tracked changes (search "Index" within the Word forum).

From GeoffW:
    Here's the link