turtleshelby

Index pg # linked to xe field

I need a way to link the index page number to the xe field in the text that can be updated without without losing the links. Hyperlinking a added bookmark does not stand up to updating and the links can't be locked independtly of each other. Converting the Word document to HTML does not fit out needs. The Table of Contents work but can't be sorted alpha without losing the links. An article in MS Office Pro June 2000 is suppose to have a method that involves events but it's members only. Any and all assistance will be greatly appreciated!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Index pg # linked to xe field

I have had some experience with using indexes, but I am afraid I haven't understood your question.Is it that

(a) you wish to have the entry in the index hyperlinked to the XE entry? I do not know how that can be managed.

([img]/forums/images/smilies/cool.gif[/img] The XE etry to show the page number of the index where it appears? The best way is to look at the index itself, I would have thought.

you want something else ?

turtleshelby

I need the page number on a line in the index to jump to the place in the document text where the XE field is entered. Like the links in a Table of Contents do. Would really appreciate any information that is out there. It seems there was a article in June 2000 MS Office Pro about it but I can't get to it as it is Members only.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, I have often wanted this, but haven't got around to twisting VBA around to enable that.

The logic to do this may go something like this:

(i) Place adjacent to every XE entry in the file a uniquely named bookmark. The bookmark name, which the script must generate, should be the page number returned by the PAGE field on that page.
    (ii) Hyperlink every Page number to the bookmark with the same name.

Hopefully someone will write the code for this and post it.

turtleshelby

The problem with doing it this way is the hyperlinks are lost everytime you update the index. The only lock that works locks the entire index. When you change even one thing in the index all the hyperlinks must be redone. time consuming & boring! Rumor has it someone has written the VBA for this & it was in june 2000 MS Office Pro but it is members only. I'd take a macro that does the hyperlinking at this point. Wish I had started learning this stuff years ago! Still hoping for HELP. Thanks for the efforts. Turtle