Thanks

Chapter number in header (XP)

I'm trying to help someone who is doing a Bible translation into a foreign language. She wants the number of the chapter to appear in the header, so I thought of starting a continuous section break at the start of each chapter and then inserting the Section number in the header (so on the page that Genesis 8 starts, for example it says Genesis 8 in the header). This worked fine when the text was in one column. However, she wants the text in two columns, traditional Bible style, and when you do that, the section break at the start of the chapter means that the previous section is in two columns down to the break and then the new section starts again in the left hand column, instead of flowing continuously on down the column that the previous chapter ended in.

Any other ways of doing this?

Ian

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Chapter number in header (XP)

Instead of sections, consider heading styles with numbering to start a new chapter. You can include the chapter number in the page number - type "chapter number in header" in the answer wizard.

Thanks

Thanks for this Hans. I am abroad at the moment, and the friend's PC I am at has Word in French, but I'll see if I can decipher what the Help is saying. My French is limited!

Ian

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The info can also be found in HOW TO: Include Chapter Numbers in Header or Footer in Word 2000. Although this mSKB article is for Word 2000, it applies to Word 2002 too. You'll have to find the French terms for Heading, Numbering etc. yourself, together with your friend - je n'ai jamais utilis