Thread: RAID Setup

Star Lounger
    Thanks

RAID Setup

Can someone direct me to generic/general info on setting up a RAID array? I assume that MOBO's/controller cards differ in specifics. I have looked at various web sites, under rocks/logs, etc., but can only find definitions.
    The other day, I put my first together for a friend (who also HAD to have a Zip drive). I was told by someone to just hook it all up and use the MOBO controller. I had a DVD and a CD-R on IDE1, the ZIP on IDE2, floppy, and two Maxtors on the MOBO Raid controller. Everything went great, except that the Zip became C:, the DVD & CD became D: and E:, and the boot array became F:. But it did boot work great!
    Formatting and starting over, with the Zip removed entirely, the RAID was C:, and the DVD/CD's were D: and E: ...as they should be. Then I reconnected the Zip and it was now F:.
    Did I miss something in BIOS setup the first time (I went throught it again the second try), or did Windows just look for and find the first IDE writeable drive (Zip) and call it C:?
    David Carter

Banned Member
    Thanks

Re: RAID Setup

This might help Setting up Raid Array

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: RAID Setup

Thanks! The info was helpful. This was a fresh install from scratch, and once I killed the Zip drive and started over, everything worked as it should. But every site I had tried for info just gave definitions, period.
    David Carter