Star Lounger
    Thanks

Exchange Server 2000 Mailstore

Am supporting an Exchange 2000 server set up by someone else. They set it up with the mailstore on the boot drive. It was a 9GB drive and was just about full from the growth of the mailstore. We ghosted to an 18GB drive so now plenty of space. However I would like to move the mailstore to another drive 36GB in size. What are the risks involved? For obvious business reasons we cannot lose any Email.
    Thanks,
    apapkin

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Exchange Server 2000 Mailstore

I did a search on MS's Knowledge Base, and didn't find a single article on how to move the Information Store. It shouldn't be all that difficult, but I would definitely try to find a step by step procedure. (I don't know if you can just make the path change in the Exchange Manager or not...never tried...nor have I needed too). I do know that your Information Store locations are stored in the registry....but getting every reference to point to the new location is going to be the trick. As long as your Internet Mail Service is stopped (so you are not listening for external mail), you should be fine for a few hours. If a mail server can't get ahold of a recipient's server, it usually tries a few more times before giving up, so you can pretty safely go 'offline' with a mail server for a while. You'll just get some email 're-sent', so something sent right before you go online may take several hours to show up, since it won't be resent until the sending server's resend cycle hits.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Re: Exchange Server 2000 Mailstore

I'd just make sure that you had a good backup of the IS. If it is like 5.5 you just change the drive in Exchange Administrator (or whatever it is called in 2k). It takes over and shuts down services and then moves the files.

Joe
    Joe