3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Slow program starts in Win2k

I'm new to Windows 2000 so don't know if this is apprpriate operation of the system. It is a new copy of Windows 2000 Pro with Service Pack 3 included.

After first booting up the computer most programs......MS Excel, MS Word, AutoCAD etc.....start very slowly upon their first use. AutoCAD can take 20 seconds to load. However, upon closing the program and the reopening it, it starts up in the normal 2 to 3 seconds.

Could this be related to a setting I can change, or is it simply the way Windows 2000 works?

Thank you,
    BH Davis

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Slow program starts in Win2k

Doesn't sound normal to me. How fast is the processor, and how much memory does the PC have? Once a program has loaded in Win2000, it's cached in memory for a short time afterwards, which explains why you get faster loads the second time around.

Also,what happens if you wait a few minutes after booting? It could just be that the OS is still starting services and loading background programs.
    -Mark

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Slow program starts in Win2k

Mark,

Thanks for taking a moment to reply to this question.

It's a P4 2.2 system (400 mhz buss) with 512meg of PC333 ram.

The problem occurs even if the system has been on for hours before I go to use the program. I was thinking that programs may be starting slow if hours have passed between thier use, but I'll have to pay more attention to that. The systems only been on my desk for a week now so I'm still feeling things out.

I'm also running Norton AntiVirus. Once I turned off macro protection in Word and Excel those are coming up to speed much more quickly (this computer is not on a network...although it is on a cable modem).

Thanks again,
    BH Davis