New Lounger
    Thanks

Random String Grabber (2002)

Greetings, I'd be shocked if this hadn't been dealt with before, but 1) what with the search facility down, & 2) the likely ubiquity of this knowlege amongst you pros, I thought I'd take a chance and ask about my challenge. Let's say I have a file full of quotes which I want to stream randomly across my home page. How can I do that? I know about the Web Component that will stream a string, but I want the string to be dynamic. I'm comfortable keeping them in a text file or in a database (Access or SQL Server). Thanks!

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Random String Grabber (2002)

Depending on what you want - either across a page that is static, or random selection when the page loads, there are a lot of scripts out there that will do this. Hunt through some of the Javascript sites and see if any of them will do what you want.
    -Mark

New Lounger
    Thanks

Geez, you mean I'll actually have to do some work on my own? Yikesters! Seriously, thank you for your reply. I was trying to do a favor for a service organization who would like to display some of the nice things people have said about them, and I haven't the time to do a lot of research. I did a bit of searching both before and after my post, but nothing yet. If anyone has anything in the can, I'd appreciate a heads up. Thanks!

billeger

Mark is correct and it may not require much work at all.

There are a lot of sites with java scripts for cut and paste into your apps. If Woody's Lounge Lizards ever get Search back here you'll be able to find tons but meanwhile, Google it.

Aloha,

[b]<font color=blue>Hawai`i Bill

Thanks

Here are a couple of ideas from The JavaScript Source:

Daily Tip
    and
    Random Quote

Both use data included in the html file itself rather than from an external file, so it may not be exactly what you want.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you for your help! I'm appear to be such a lame brain. I'm generally pretty good at googling, & I ain't no slouch when it comes to a variety of geekly tasks. But I'm probably the only (aspring) geek on the planet who, until about three weeks ago, couldn't build a web page. (Thanks to the Grace of God & Uncle Bill for FrontPage, eh?) If anybody out there needs some non-ASP-related SQL Server help, please let me know!

billeger

Hang in there, Jimmy. All of us are learning something every day and it doesn't matter where you are in computer use, you never know it all!

[b]<font color=blue>Hawai`i Bill