Lounger
    Thanks

Start/New Office Doc vs File/New in Word (Office 2000)

Hi - can anyone help - this is driving me crazy!! We have company-wide templates that everyone needs to be able to access. In Office 97, we had no problem with everyone specifying his/her workgroup template location as the network location and then accessing the templates via Start/New Office Document. Our templates displayed as a new tab in the New Office Document Dialog. We were recently all updated to Office 2000 or XP (yes, not everyone on the same version). In XP, this still works as we want, but in Office 2000, the workgroup templates don't show up as tabs in the Start/New Office dialog, but they are there if you select File/New in Word (or any other office product). We want everyone to access these templates in a standard manner, and would prefer to use Start/New Office Document as the templates may take any form (PPT, Word, Excel, etc.). I have searched the Help for Office 2000 and the MS Knowledge Base, but have been unable to find anything that can help me figure out why the templates are not available when using the Start menu. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Thanks

Re: Start/New Office Doc vs File/New in Word (Office 2000)

I've never used that dialog. The only thing I saw in a search at Microsoft.com that appeared in any way related was this: Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 210577 - WD2000: Web Templates Not Available on Web Pages Tab in New Office Document Dialog Box. It says "The New Office Document dialog box displays the default template formats for Office programs. For example, it displays Word document templates (*.dot), Microsoft Word wizards (*.wiz), Microsoft PowerPoint templates (*.pot), Microsoft Access database wizards (*.mdz), and Microsoft Excel templates (*.xlt)." If your Workgroup Templates are not true templates (*.dot), that could be the problem.

Otherwise... if you installed "over" Office 97, maybe the registry keys weren't all properly migrated? The New Office Dialog keys (osa9.exe/Office Startup Assistant) might be different than the Office 9 keys. That's my final guess.

Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Start/New Office Doc vs File/New in Word (Office 2000)

Thanks for your reply. I had seen that article as well, but our templates are standard .dot files. I can't seem to find any other issues that would keep the templates from displaying in the dialog, so it could be the installation. Don't ask me how it was done - I don't think anyone's machine is done the same, which is probably the biggest part of the problem! We will just need to tell the 2000 users to access the templates from within the appropriate app.

Thanks!