New Lounger
    Thanks

Table of Contents and Hyperlinks (Word 1000)

I have a document that was originally a WordPerfect document converted to a Word document attached to an email. The receiver of the email opened the document, made changes, deleted paragraphs and then tried to update the Table of Contents wherein when it is updated it pulls the entire paragraph into the "Table" not just the heading and page number. It has now been given to me to "FIX". The Web Toolbar also pulls up and everything is hyperlinked. I am going absolute nuts - any help would be forever appreciated.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Table of Contents and Hyperlinks (Word 1000)

It's near impossible to tell what's going on there, without seeing the document.
    Can you post a copy of the problem document here? (you can 'sanitize' it first i.e. remove identifying names and addresses etc.)

Gary

Super Moderator
    Thanks

In WordPerfect one can select the "words/phrase" to be listed in the TOC, while in Word the "paragraph" is give the style name to be listed in the TOC. When converted to MS Word, the paragraph was give the style name. The WordPerfect information is from the wife, she uses it not I.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Reveal the field codes for the TOC to see how it is building.

It will most likely look something like this {TOC o "1-3"}. This tells the TOC to add any paragraph with an OUTLINE level of 1, 2 or 3 applied to it. Now the outline levels applied to paragraphs are not immediately apparent and you can see what is applied to what if you go into Outline view and fiddle with the numbered buttons on the Outline toolbar.

You will probably discover that the paragraphs you thought were plain body text paragraphs are actually outline levels (headings) in sheep's clothing. Another possibility is that the paragraph marks are dodgy - there is a character that is 'almost' the same as a paragraph mark.

If you can post a sanitised version of the file, we can tell you what the problem actually is.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia