New Lounger
    Thanks

Saving pages in IE (IE 5.5)

For some reason the Save/Save as tabs on the File dropdown menu are suddenly greyed out. This is very inconvenient. Anyone any ideas why this should be? Urgent help will be much appreciated.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Saving pages in IE (IE 5.5)

Coredon--

I haven't been able to find a specific fix to address this yet, and would appreciate knowing what Operating System you are running with 5.5. Meanwhile, why not run System File Checker which you can run in Windows 98 on up and see if that helps. At the run box or the dos prompt type in "sfc /purge cache" and that'll happen quickly. Then type in "sfc /scannow"--can replace damaged files. Hopefully someone who understands what might be a Java connection to this will jump in. I did find this 303750: Incorrect File Name in the File Open or File Save Dialogue Boxes possibly related but not on the mark. Part of the mechanism of how pages are saved may be here.

SMBP

Thanks

That happens to me occasionally, and usually restarting IE fixed it. Sometimes I had to restart Windows. If you can View>Source in these situations, and you only need raw HTML, you can do it through the program set up to edit Source. (Often, that didn't work for me either.) I don't think I ever investigated the cause, I just viewed it as another sign that IE or Windows was ready to be refreshed.

If I couldn't close the browser because I had a paid product on the screen (such as a research report), another workaround was to use View>De###### to load the source. I'm not sure whether this is installed by default.

New Lounger
    Thanks

I've found out what causes the problem but not why. When I first used IE today I looked and saw that I could Save which seriously puzzled me. Anyway to cut things short, I came across a .pdf file which I read and saved -- using the icon which appears at the top of such pages, not the IE Save tab. Later I wanted to save an ordinary .htm page -- and you've guessed it, the Save tab was greyed out! Closing IE and starting it up again works OK. I've saved plenty of pdf files before and am sure the Save tab has been there...
    Anyway, that's the story but not the why.
    Many thanks for the help.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Is it the "Save" or "Save As" that is grayed out?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.