New Lounger
    Thanks

Mac Word Bug (Word 98, Word 2001, Word X)

Please read this if you are a user of Microsoft Word for Macintosh or if you have clients who use Word on the Mac.

After months of back and forth messages, Microsoft has finally admitted that there is a bug in the print process. This affects Word 98, Word 2001 and Word X.

The bug reveals itself when a Word template or document contains graphics that are closer than .5" to the edge of the page. When Word is started and such a document is opened, the File/Print or File/Print Preview command will result in the graphic being cut off as if the printer has a .5" margin instead of what its actual margins may be. This problem can be temporarily corrected if the user opens the File/Print dialog, chooses the "Microsoft Word" panel and clicks on the "Word Options" button. Once the Word Options dialog is displayed and closed, File/Print and File/Print Preview work as expected as long as Word is running. When Word is closed and restarted, the problem recurs.

We have attempted to create a Visual Basic workaround by re-creating these steps with macro programming, but it does not work reliably and does not cure the File/Print Preview cutoff of graphics. We received the following message from Microsoft tech support today (June 17, 2003):

>Incident ID SRZ030403001271

>Response from Microsoft

>From: Chris Zhang
    >Sent: 2003

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Mac Word Bug (Word 98, Word 2001, Word X)

I don't see this problem on my Macintosh (OS 10.2, using Word X). I can print a clip art image with a margin of .25" to the top or left edge of the page.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for your reply. I don't have Word X, so I have not been able to test it. Does File/Print Preview work correctly as well? What printer are you using?

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, Print Preview works correctly as well. The printer is a Laserjet HP 4100 network printer.

I do get the problem in Word 2001, and the workaround of bringing up the Word Options dialog doesn't resolve it.

New Lounger
    Thanks

My apologies. You must open File/Page Setup, choose the Microsoft Word panel and open Margins to fix the Print Preview.