3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Printing problems (Office 2000)

Hello,
    How do change the printer defaults for all of the old Excel spreadsheets? I just reinstalled Windows and Office and for some reason the printer settings for the old Excel files are 150 dpi instead of the usual 300 dpi. What is strange is that I never had the printer set to 150 dpi. What is in the Windows "default printer" in Control panel is 300 dpi.

In any case, how do I make sure that all the spreadsheets and workbooks print at the default of 300 without manually changing each and every one thru page setup?

Thanks,
    Louise

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Printing problems (Office 2000)

PrintQuality is a property of each worksheet in each workbook. I believe that the Excel default is to set the print quality to the lowest quality for the default printer when you create a new workbook. If you are asking how to get Excel to default to 300dpi for all new worksheets, then you have to do two things:

1- To get the correct default for a new workbook, you have to create a new workbook with the default number of worksheets in it. Then set the PrintQuality for all of those sheets to what you want it to default to. Now, save this workbook as a template (change the file type to template in the SaveAs dialog box) in your XLStart directory with the name Book.xlt.

2- To get sheets that you add to workbooks to default to 300dpi, then you again create a new workbook and delete all but the first sheet named Sheet1. Set the PrintQuality for this sheet to what you want it to default to. Now, save this workbook as a template (change the file type to template in the SaveAs dialog box) in your XLStart directory with the name Sheet.xlt.

If you want to change the PrintQuality for existing workbooks, you will either have to change them manually, or, if you have a lot of workbooks that have to be changed, write a macro to open all of the workbooks and make the change. We can help with a macro if you really need it.
    Legare Coleman

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Printing problems (Office 2000)

Thanks for the reply Legare. It's interesting that the "new" sheets and workbooks are at 300 dpi whereas some of the existing ones could be at 150, 300 or even 600 dpi. But I guess you answered by question, I will have to change things manually as I use them.

Thanks again
    Louise