5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Not remembering toolbars (Excel 2000)

I create macro toolbar buttons. THey last the session. Then, when I reboot or restart, they're gone. There are .xlb files on my C: but I cannot understand why XL will not bring them up again. I am reduced to keys or the menu. I believe it has to do with setup configurations. I am on a network, but I should be operating off my C, right? I have a similar problem with Book.xlt. Altho Sheet.xlt works, book.xlt will not seem to work....I always get the default book.xlt. Any ideas? Thanks.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Not remembering toolbars (Excel 2000)

Sounds like your IT dept forces a default xlb file upon you at logon.

What I would do is :
    - make all your customisations.
    - close Excel
    - find the xlb file with the most recent date
    - copy it somewhere safe <g>.

Now after a logon, simply open that xlb file in the first excel session your start.
    Jan Karel Pieterse
    Microsoft Excel MVP, WMVP
    www.jkp-ads.com
    Professional Office Developers Association

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks

Are you adding your macro buttons to the standard excel toolbars or are you adding them to a 'custom' toolbar?
    I work under a vicious IT network which won't let Users 'mess' the system.
    Your standard toolbars are probably reset by default.
    But I am 'allowed' to have my 'own' toolbar named zeddy.

zeddy

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I will definitely try that ASAP. I still don't understand why I can have a sheet.xlt that works but not a book.xlt that works.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Toolbars are not kept in the .xlt file, they are kept in your .xlb file.
    Legare Coleman

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I created a Worksheet Menu Bar, which I guess is the Custom Toolbar mentioned. Of course, Excel did not remember it when I closed all open workbooks and restarted. I saved it as part of Book.xlt. No soap. So for the 5th time I recreate the stinking toolbar and observe that there is no "save as" an .xlb option in my dialog box. I see xlt. Is there a special way to save the custom toolbar? I note the add a custom toolbar button in the Customize Dialog box. Of course, when I restart excel, there is not custom toolbar to add. I guess its the network environment, but Office is on my C drive, and searches have not disclosed anything from the system. Are there any Office settings that would prevent toolbars etc?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

No, there is no way to save as a .xlb. When you create a custom toolbar, Excel automatically creates a new .xlb if you don't have one, or adds the new toolbar to your existing .xlb if you have one. If you are on a corporate network, the IT folks have ways of preventing this from happening. You can create a new toolbar, but it will not be saved. You can create a new toolbar, then use the attach button in the custom toolbar dialog box to attach the tool bar to a particular workbook. I really don't know what would then happen if you saved that workbook as the template Book.xlt. That might allow you to keep the toolbar defined for all new workbooks.
    Legare Coleman

Thanks

Many addins and programs do a "poor" job of toolbar maintenance also. I have seen many "customize" the menubars and toolbars and then try to "restore" them by using the RESET method, which resets it to the factory defaults but does NOT restore them! In the process DELETING all your custom settings. I make periodic backups of my "xlb" file to fix this problem!

Steve

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks to everyone for their comments. I will continue to test this environment on my own and refer to comments on this thread, but for the time being I think we've discussed this enough, and concluded it's the particular environment I'm in. Having consulted the members of this forum and gotten their advice, I can at least rest assured I have consulted the best.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Here is some additional info on toolbars:

Excel keeps toolbar and menubar customizations in a file with the extension .xlb. The exact filename depends on Excel version and install, but usually is: Excel9.xlb or Excel.xlb or Username8.xlb.
    Often this file can be found in your WINDOWS directory.

You can attach a toolbar to a workbook. When this workbook is loaded, XL checks if the toolbar is on the system. If not, it copies the toolbar from the workbook to the system.

After creating *or changing* the toolbar, you should attach the toolbar to your workbook:

- activate the workbook to which you want to attach the toolbar
    - Rightclick the toolbar, select 'customize'
    - Click 'Attach' (Toolbars Tab)
    - If the workbook already contains a toolbar by that name, delete it first by clicking on it on the righthand side and choosing Delete.
    - Select your toolbar (on the left) and press 'copy'
    - Save the workbook (optionally: save_as an add-in).

Also, You should include code that deletes the toolbar when your workbook or add-in is closed, so that when you deliver a new version of your workbook the new toolbar will be used i.s.o the old one. You can do that in the Thisworkbook module, using the Workbook_BeforeClose event:

Private Sub Workbook_BeforeClose(Cancel as Boolean)
    On Error Resume Next 'In case Toolbar is absent
    Application.CommandBars("YourBarsName").Delete
    End Sub
    Jan Karel Pieterse
    Microsoft Excel MVP, WMVP
    www.jkp-ads.com
    Professional Office Developers Association