Lounger
    Thanks

WINSTA.DLL (WINDOWS XP HOME EDIITON)

After working with DELL to fix missing icons and the task bar by reinitializing corrupted files with the Windows XP compact disk, I have been left with a problem.

When clicking on MY COMPUTER...PROPERTIES this message is displayed: This procedure entry point RemoteAssistancePrepareSystemRestore could not be located in the dynamic link library WINSTA.DLL

DELL is insisting that I must REFORMAT my hard drive and install Winows XP again. HELP !!! I can do that but with much pain and agony. Anyone have a better idea?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: WINSTA.DLL (WINDOWS XP HOME EDIITON)

Nah, I don't buy that answer. If you went through the CD recovery process, then it restored your computer to the clean install state and removed any and all security patches that were applied. I would try applying Service Pack 1, and any critical updates that appear in Windows Update since that time. It's far from time to bag it and start clean!!
    -Mark

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Sarib--

I searched the MSDN DLL Ref Library and got back very little info other than that Microsoft can spell it and tell you with which products the various versions ship--i.e. some ship with Windows Server 2003, XP, XPSP1, ect. The KB has similar errors, but not that exact error. Google groups has some threads, and this with Mark Ferguson, a MS MVP giving this advice. I read about 25 threads--other threads recommend reinstalling IE, or didn't say anything on point and helpful at all.

Without the trail of broken tailights recapped, I have developed a firm rule. If Dell tech support no reflection on the multitude of good hardware they make (many who are advanced software enthusaists as well) but on that phone in that cube were to say: "You have to wipe and reload" a very high percent of the time you don't. Many of them (and other "tech support") are quick to say this because they don't want to take the time--or don't know what to do. But it's all to often not the case--so...I would try in this order...

1) Rt. click My Computer>Properties>System Restore Tab (or hit the Windows and Pause Break key and get there)>See that the box to "turn off Sys Retore" on all drives is unchecked.
    2) Go to the dos prompt. Type in "sfc /purge cache"--runs quickly. No quotes space after sfc, Then type in "sfc /scannow." This runs system file checker. Before put in your XP CD and it will hopefully replace any damaged files including winsta.dll from the CD-Rom.
    3) If this does not fix, then 304449: run System Restore from the Dos Prompt.
    4) If these fail, try 307852: Last Known Good Configuration.

SMBP

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Sarib--

In additon to Mark's suggestion to apply SP1 if you haven't, I forgot to mention this--we have had a few system restore threads lately in the XP section:

302796: Troubleshooting System Restore in Windows XP which includes trying to boot into safe mode and run it from the command prompt if it won't run from the command prompt without safe mode. In Home you don't have to worry about going to Services and Applications because the MMC isn't in Home.

SMBP