Lounger
    Thanks

Compacting mdb- original file disappears (Access 2002)

During a normal compact or mde creation the original file disappears prior to renaming. Does any one know if this is Bug in AK2? If not bug what then.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Compacting mdb- original file disappears (Access 2002)

I experience neither of these. A (quick) search in the Microsoft Knowledgebase and in the Microsoft Newsgroups yielded nothing remotely related to this, so it doesn't appear to be a widespread problem...

Super Moderator
    Thanks

If by disappear, you mean that the old file is not there, and all you have is the new file, that is standard procedure if you compact the open database. If on the other hand, you open Access without a database, and then compact a selected database, it will ask you for the name of the new database.

In point of fact, when the compact is done to the currently open database, Access actually creates a temporary database, and when the compact has successfully completed, it deletes the old database, and renames the temporary database to the same name as the original database. Does this clarify things?
    Wendell

Lounger
    Thanks

YES, I understand how Access works when it comes to compacting - the problem lies when access tries to rename the orignal file it can be found and I have done nothing to the original file to prevent it from being found.

I get an error stating that the original file can not be found - so the file is names db1. This process sometimes corrupts the mdb. It acts if the file is locked by another - however, I am the only user. I have attached copy of errors.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Sorry - I've been out of touch at rehearsals all day. Can you compact the database when you do it without opening the database? If so, then something really peculiar is going on. If not, you may have permissions problems with the file itself. Especially if it is on an NTFS volume, users must have full read, write, create and delete capabilities if they are going to do compacts. It is also possible that the original file is actually corrupt to the point it cannot be repaired, though I think you normally get different error messages in that case. If all else fails, try importing everything from the existing database into a new database and see what happens.
    Wendell

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I've seen this behavior, but in A2000. The database compacts to a name like db1.mdb but when it tries to delete the original file so it can rename the db1.mdb, it can't delete the original file, usually because a process is still holding it open. In my experience, it is caused by corruption in the database you're trying to compact rather than causing corruption. In extreme cases, I've even seen JetComp behave like this, but less frequently than the Access backup. Sometimes doing a decompile first will take care of the problem, but one way of cleaning it up is to create a new database and import all the objects from the one that's giving you problems. You'll usually find an object that won't import because it is corrupted..
    Charlotte