New Lounger
    Thanks

Change Default Browse Object (Word XP)

Is there a way to change the default Browse Object from page to section? I generally browse by section, but every time I close a document Word resets to browse by page so I have to reset the browse object manually. It's only a minor irritation, but since I can change almost every other default setting you would think I could change this one too.

Dick G.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Change Default Browse Object (Word XP)

I don't think there is a permanent setting for this (others will correct me if I'm wrong), but you can put a little macro in Normal.dot or in another global template that sets the browse target to section:

Sub AutoExec()
    Application.Browser.Target = wdBrowseSection
    End Sub

A macro named AutoExec will be executed automatically when the template is opened, i.e. when Word is started.

New Lounger
    Thanks

I thought of the macro approach, but WOPR already has created an autoexec macro in my documents that doesn't seem to want to be changed. Is there a way to add to this autoexec macro or create another macro that will automatically run on document opening?

Dick G.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Does your Normal.dot have an AutoExec macro that cannot be edited, or do you mean something else? BTW, you shouldn't put an AutoExec setting the browser target in each document!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

You are right that WOPR has an autoexec and that is locked so you cannot view or change it. However, that autoexec does not live in your normal.dot file (or, more correctly, it does not live in my normal.dot and I'm assuming your situation is the same). So, you should be able to check that by clicking on tools-macros-macros and then in the drop-down list select "normal.dot (global template)" and I would expect that "AutoExec" will disappear from the list of macros (because the WOPR autoexec is in a different global template). Then just type in the name AutoExec as the macro name, click create and slap in the code from the previous post whereupon you should be in business. I tried doing exactly that and my autoexec ran and WOPR still loaded as usual.

New Lounger
    Thanks

All right! It looks like that worked. I still get confused about what lives where--normal.dot, other templates, the actual document. But I not only got my default browser object to automatically change, but I also learned a bit more about template organization. Thanks.

Dick G.