2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Backing up a Database (2000)

I have a database that has been split. Both the front and back end is an Access database. There will be times during the use of the database that as many as 10 to 15 users will be adding information at the same time. Because the information is important and because the tables will be changing quickly, I want to make frequent backups of the tables. Making a batch file to do the backups is no problem but I'm wondering if the tables can be backed up while they are open and in use. If not, any suggestions?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Backing up a Database (2000)

It may depend on the OS - it seems to work OK with Windows NT4 or Windows XP Pro on the desktop PC's and Windows 2000 Server on the file server.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Although all of this will be networked, it will only be peer to peer. The tables will reside on an up-to-date Windows 2000 workstation. Do you think that will be ok?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

You will be at the upper limit of what you can do at that user load. If it's heavy-duty data entry, you may see it get sluggish, especially if there are others trying to access records as well. In addition, Windows 2000 workstation starts to throttle things as I understand it when you get up to 15 or 20 connections to it. I would suggest you take a hard look as Small Business Server - it gets you a single domain controller and SQL Server (which has much more robust backup facilities). It does require some care and feeding however.
    Wendell