5 Star Lounger
    Patterson Lakes, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
    Thanks

Sent items folder gone awol (Outlook 2002 SP-2)

I have just had to format & re-install everything. And when I started Outlook, the Sent items (I think that
    Regards,
    Peter

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Sent items folder gone awol (Outlook 2002 SP-2)

Try starting outlook from Start | Run with the /ResetFolders switch, as in: Outlook /ResetFolders. If it can't find outlook you'll have to determine the path and type it in.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the reply.
    I already know the path, I copied the saved data before reformatting, and have since copied it back from a disk image. I assume it
    Regards,
    Peter

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Peter, just to be sure, with apologies if you understood perfectly well what OldDog was asking and you tried it and it didn't work. OldDogs comment about knowing the outlook path was so you could type it correctly in the Start, Run window, such as:

"c:Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeOffice 10outlook.exe" /resetfolders

or navigate to the folder (directory) containing Outlook.exe in a command window (the "c prompt"), and then run the command:

outlook /resetfolders

Note that in order for this to work you must first close down Outlook and all Outlook windows, such as Calendar windows and open messages.

Your response to him about reformatting and so forth doesn't indicate that you tried these commands.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7DS

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

John. From the flag, looks like you
    Regards,
    Peter

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Sent items folder gone awol (Outlook 2002 SP-2

What you have IS weird behaviour. Try and see if any of the following change the landscape: <UL><LI>Go to your EMail Preferences. (I don't remember where is it in Outlook XP, but it's under Tools|Options in Outlook 2000.) Make sure that "Save copies of sent messages in Sent Items folder" is checked. (Feelk free to change it back if nothing happens.) <LI>Under Advanced EMail Options, change the location for the saving of unsent items to Sent Items. <LI>Try creating a mail folder called Sent Items.[/list]HTH
    Gre

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

This gets weirder & weirder. "Save copies of sent messages in Sent Items folder" was already checked. But I changed the location for the saving of unsent items to Sent Items.
    But, and here is the weird part, when I tried to create a mail folder called Sent Items, the folder was already on the list, (see attachment), and obviously I couldn
    Regards,
    Peter

Thanks

Try using View>Folder List. The Outlook Bar's shortcuts can be deleted or moved accidentally.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I had tried that.
    I just solved the problem. I renamed the file 'Outlook.pst' to 'Outlook.pst.OLD' and restarted Outlook. It re-generated 'Outlook.pst' along with all the folders INCLUDING 'SENT ITEMS'. However I now can't see all my past emails, but I think that it is probably easy to copy them. I just need to work out how.

15 minuttes later:- I have just come back to this post. I thought that mail items were stored in 'mailbox.pst'. But is that correct? Because that file hasn't changed in a couple of days, yet I have sent & recieved mail in that time.
    ay ideas how do I get my old emails copied to the new setup?
    Regards,
    Peter

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

The name of your *.pst file is entirely up to you, but the default "out of the wrapper" is outlook.pst. Are you sure you don't mean mailbox.pab?

As for copying your old emails over, you can reopen Outlook.pst.OLD. It's usually simpler, however, to give it back the "pst" extension - renaming it to anything OTHER than "outlook.pst". (Try "old outlook.pst".) You can open it using File|Outlook Data Store (I THINK that's the terminology - I have 2000 running at the moment). Then, simply drag and drop your old folders over. Note that you will have to copy the contents of the default folders - such as Inbox - over. When you are done, right-click on the top folder of the old archive and choose "Close".
    Gre

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks. XP appears to be a little bit different to 2000, but I managed it. I now have all my emails back and everything is running beautifully again.
    Wouldn't it be so much simpler if we could manipulate email files like any other file, in something like Explorer. But I guess that's only a pipe dream.
    Once again, thanks to all you geniuses out there.
    Regards,
    Peter