Lounger
    Thanks

Task Pane Question (Word XP)

I work at a law firm and one attorney asked me if he can add his favorite templates to the "recently used templates" list on the task pane. It only shows two, he would like to have at least four showing. In "recently used documents" there are more than two to choose from, but not for Templates. Is there help for that?

Also, I would like to know how you put a new option into the "File" menu. Instead of using the Task Pane (which I am not fond of) can I not just put the Templates folder in the "File" menu and go from there?

Thanks for your help. Johanna

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Task Pane Question (Word XP)

I don't think that the New Document task pane (or any other task pane) is customizable.
    You can add fixed items to the File Menu, but if you want to "put the Templates folder in the File menu", you would need code to rebuild it each time you open Word (and each time you add, rename or delete a template)

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Update: see What's in Woody's Office POWER Pack XP / 2002 (WOPR XP) and look for Task Pane Customizer.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

A search on the MS KnowledgeBase reveals that you can indeed customise the task pane but it requires VBA coding.

MS KB288542 explains a little about it and that looking up the NewFile (NewDocument in Word) object in the VBA online help will reveal more.
    By examining these sources you could come up with code such as the following...
    <pre>Sub AddNewDocToTaskPane()
    Application.NewDocument.Add FileName:="G:FolderNameMy Template.dot", _
    SECTION:=msoNewfromTemplate, DisplayName:="My Persistent Template", _
    Action:=msoCreateNewFile
    With Application.CommandBars("Task Pane")
    .Visible = False
    .Visible = True
    End With
    End Sub</pre>

Good luck, I know I will be doing some playing in this today.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I also work in a law firm and since the task pane doesn't bother me (much), I have put all our favorite templates right into the template folder so that when I select File/New I can just choose whichever I will work with.

It seems as if you are saying you would work with files instead of templates. Have you thought of just dragging the files to your desktop and accessing from there?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Johanna,

As a recent convert to Word XP, I've been annoyed by that task pane behavior and wondering why File > New no longer produces the familiar 'New' document dialog.
    Andrew has posted what looks like great info on customizing the task pane (I know I'm going to be playing around with this too), but if you want to know how to make the Word 97/Word 2000-style New dialog available as an alternative to the task pane, do the following steps:

Add the following macro to a standard code module in either your Normal.dot or to a global template which is located in Word's Startup directory location:

<pre>Public Sub DisplayTemplatesDialog()
    'Provides alternative to the File>New behavior in Word 20002,
    ' which displays the Task Pane rather than the 'New' dialog
    ' as it did in Word 97 and Word 2000:
    Dialogs(wdDialogFileNew).Show
    End Sub
    </pre>

Now to make this permanently available on your File menu:

Click on Tools > Customize > Commands tab.
    At the bottom of the Customize dialog, you will see a drop-down list next to the 'Save in:' label - from this list select either Normal.dot or the name of your global template.
    Click on the File menu to cause the full menu to display.
    Back in the Customize dialog, scroll down the 'Categories' list on the left until you locate 'Macros' - click to select that.
    The 'Commands' list on the right side will then display a list of all macros that are in currently open projects.
    Scroll until you see the name of this macro (it might say something like "Normal.Module1.DisplayTemplatesDialog".)
    Click to select the name of that macro item, and drag it up onto the File menu into the location of your choice.
    Once it's there, you can rename it (to say, "New from Dialog") by right-clicking and editing the textbox next to 'Name'.
    (While doing that, you could optionally put an "&" before the "D" in Dialog, to add a hotkey to the menu item.)
    You can also assign a button image to it.
    Then click Close to close the Customize box.

You should then be able use the New from Dialog item under the File menu to bring up the old-style New document dialog.

The next time you quit Word, you may get prompted to save changes to your global template; in this case, say Yes to save the changes.

Gary

Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you Hans. I have asked our administrator to download the Office Power Pack from the CD. I don't know if she will do it. And since I am only a user, I constantly have to ask her to download things for me.

Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you everyone for your help!

I used the macro from Gary (as I am not too familiar with all this VBA code). It helps to just get to the templates with a keyboard shortcut. And I am also waiting to get the CD from Woody's.

Talking about templates - there is a system template called "Legal Pleadings" which I would like to get rid of since we never ever use it (I created our own), but I cannot find it in Windows Explorer to delete it. Any ideas?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

>Public Sub DisplayTemplatesDialog()
    Thanks!
    (signed) "Frustrated Word2003 user of Mississauga"