Star Lounger
    Thanks

location of templates (word 97)

I have a .dot that creates assembles a document and saves it for the user. It runs fine as long as the template is somewhere underneath crogram filesmicrosoft officetemplates. If I put it anywhere else then it still runs fine, but the document that it assembles causes Word to shut down any time it is opened. Ouch! I have spent the afternoon working with the Tools, Options, File Locations, User Templates and Workgroup Templates, but nothing that I change here seems to help. Anybody out there have advice?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: location of templates (word 97)

Is Word crashing or closing?

If you hold the shift key when opening the file does it still shut down upon opening?
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: location of templates (word 97)

Gwenda,

Never heard of that one - weird!
    The only thing I can think of that might relate to the template location is: if the assembled document retains a 'based-on' reference to the originating template, and that originating template is stored in a location that is not specified as either the User Templates or Workgroup Templates location, then a macro warning dialog is going to appear when the document is opened - but that shouldn't of itself cause Word to crash.

Is there anything out of the ordinary about the documents that are being assembled - for instance are you doing anything like associating VBA code with the documents (as opposed to keeping it in the template)?
    Is there any unusual code in a Document_Open or AutoOpen procedure in either the document or the template?

Gary