Star Lounger
    Hemel and/or Luton, UK, Hertfordshire, England
    Thanks

Access Newbie Question

Hello Folks, I have just moved jobs and amongst my new tasks is managing an NT Sever that (amongst many other things) is holding the data for an a small Access system.

The database is approx 15MB and was written in Access 2.0, the server just holds this data as the client PC's (only 3 of them) run the application.

Now for the problem. The application involves a relitavely simple activity of "re-calculating an enquiry" which takes 1 - 3 minutes to complete IF ONE USER is using the system. However if TWO OR MORE users are logged on (even if the other users are not actively doing much) the same "re-calculation" will take 30 - 40 minutes!

Does anyone have any suggestions of things I could try to improve this terrible slowdown.

PS. I don't think the problem should not be to do with the performance of the server as it is a P3 500 with 384Mb of RAM and 40GB of free hard disk space.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Access Newbie Question

What does "recalculating and enquiry" entail that normally takes 1-3 minutes? Has it always taken this long? Either this was poorly designed to start with (my Access 2.0 databases were never that slow) or you may have a network problem.

Is the front-end on the individual machines or is it being run across the network? Is Access on the individual machines or it it being run across the network?
    Charlotte

Star Lounger
    Hemel and/or Luton, UK, Hertfordshire, England
    Thanks

Re: Access Newbie Question

Charlotte,

Thanks for responding.

What does "recalculating and enquiry" entail that normally takes 1-3 minutes? - NB. Should read "recalculating an enquiry" - Basically all we have is a huge (10,000 entries per enquiry) list of potential parts in an engieneering job. The user selects which parts or sets of parts the job requires and quantities, and the system gets the prices and availablity from the database. The end resuly is just a cost and an "in-stock/out-of stock" type report.

Has it always taken this long? - Only when more than 1 user is online. Always quick for 1 user.

Is the front-end on the individual machines or is it being run across the network? - Yes, the front end is on each local machine)

Is Access on the individual machines or it it being run across the network? - Access is also on each local machine.

Hope this helps.

P.S. The more I think about it, the more I feel it may be a network/server problem as I am told that the same software (setup in the same way as described above) works with 10-20 users at another company without any significant slowdown. So I guess the question really is "is there anything that is a known problem with running Access over a network"

Thanks again.

Jon Roberts