3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Access to Excel - Force Version (Access 2000 SR-1; Excel 2000 SR-1)

I am exporting an Access report and creating an Excel file, no worries. My report contains a memo field which exports OK - however - the boffins here, in order to make everything 'compatible', have fudged Excel so that the default file type is Excel 6.0/95. As a result my memo field is truncated at 127 characters (don't know why it's not at 255).

Is there a way I can force the file format of Excel to create a 2000 file from my Access database? The receivers of this file are all using 2000 so it's not an issue from their perspective.

Thanks for your help.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Access to Excel - Force Version (Access 2000 SR-1; Excel 2000 SR-1)

I have output a report to Microsoft Excel 97-2000 format (it is a matter of choosing 'Save a Type') and I output 255 characters. I would say the max number of chars for 6.0/95 is probably 127 characters.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Access to Excel - Force Version (Access 2000 SR-1; Excel 2000 SR-1)

Recommend use TransferSpreadsheet method to export data to XL. The 2nd argument (spreadsheettype) allows you to specify file format. For example, to export data to XL 97/2000 format, you'd specify acSpreadsheetTypeExcel9 (2K) or acSpreadsheetTypeExcel8 (97) (same difference, both constants = 8). Note that you have to specify a table or saved query as source for export, you can't export a report directly. For details on syntax, etc look up TransferSpreadsheet in Help. Also note, any memo field will still be truncated at 255 characters.

HTH