2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Windows Update Problem

I have XP and recently have been unable to access Windows Update without shutting down Zone Alarm Pro completely. With ZAP running and I try to load Windows Update I manage to reach the welcome page but then an error is encountered with the number shown as 0x80072F76. The problem is shown as a blocking issue and gives 6 suggestions which I have tried with no success. I have tried numerous settings in ZAP but the only way to get Windows Update pages to run is to shutdown ZAP completely. Has anyone had this problem and what is the answer. Thanks

Thanks

Re: Windows Update Problem

I don't use ZoneAlarm, but I know that WindowsUpdate uses an ActiveX control. Can you set ZA to "trust" the host *.microsoft.com?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Check the different programs that you have blocked in ZA, you may have blocked the Update or a related one.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks - I have checked all the programmes and allowed any that may be blocking with no success. I don't seem able to set *.microsoft.com to be a trusted host, since I am not sure I would want to allow microsoft "carte blanche" to my pc, especially automatically reporting errors which in the past woody suggested to block. It seems strange that even turning the ZA firewall off at the control centre still causes the error but shutting down ZA completely allows me access to the updates. Seems I may have to just do this when checking for updates. Cheers.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Do you have the most current ZAP? Do you accidentally have the MS firewall enabled?

Joe
    Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes Joe, I have the latest ZAP installed and I do not have ms firewall enabled.
    Bob

Thanks

Have you tried removing all of the MS entries from the program list in ZAP and letting it reset new permissions?
    I also have MS set as a "trusted" zone in the security tab but with the call home feature disabled.
    Has this happened since ZAP was installed or did it just start?

Bob
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I am beginning to lose the plot. This has just started as I have had ZAP installed for a long time without this problem. I also have MShome as a Trusted zone but have not tried removing all the MS entries as yet. Had hoped to resolve it without going through that door. Have now found that by going into privacy settings/ cookies/ custom settings and unticking all the boxes I can reach Windows Update and I shall just use that route to check and download updates. Cheers and thanks to all.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Bob, Here's a quote from Kelly's Windows XP site

Can't download any updates and/or you receive an error message: Go to Start/Run and type in CMD. At the command prompt, type the following commands, pressing ENTER after each line:

net stop cryptsvc
    ren %systemroot%system32catroot2 oldcatroot2
    net start cryptsvc

Then try the install again.

Joe
    Joe