4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Styles - Numbering confusion (97 - 2000 or XP)

Hello

I am working on a very large document with 17 chapters - pages in total 450. I have tried many ways to put this together including the Master Document idea. I have found it all too complicated and ended up keeping the chapters in individual files and have made one document with hyperlinks to each chapter. It seems to work well enough.

I have made a template for the style for the chapters.

The problem I am having is the numbering of headings. I have 3 numbered levels

Heading 1 1 (Chapter 1) Chapter 1.doc
    Heading 2 1.1
    Heading 3 1.1.1

Heading 1 2 (Chapter 2) Chapter 2.doc
    Heading 2 2.1
    Heading 3 2.1.1

When I put the documents into the Template and insert the table of Contents the numbering is all wrong. All documents become numbered the same.

I am confused as to where I set up the numbering. If I do it in the style, it makes every chapter the same number.

I know this question is as confused as I am. Perhaps someone could point me in the direction of some tips on using Styles? I have hunted through the manual I have and cant seem to find the answer. I have all versions of Office at my disposal but am most conversant with 97.

H E L P !!

Kerry

Thanks

Re: Styles - Numbering confusion (97 - 2000 or XP)

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by jscher2000 on 20-Jun-03 14:31. Forgot something important!)</P>I try to avoid automatic numbering, but I do recall a way to specify where the numbering should start. Those who study these things closely will tell you that any customization should be done through modification of the Heading 1 Style rather than Format>Bullets and Numbering...>Customize... Either way, you should see something like this (the dialog displayed was captured in Word 2002).

Addendum: Once you have created your individual documents, changing the style should affect only that document, not all other documents based on the same template. If all are changing, then you probably have some kind of "automatic updating" set on your Heading styles. See if you can turn that off.
    Attached Images Attached Images

New Lounger
    Thanks

We work on individual chapters; complete the chapters, make .ps files for each chapter and then combine the .ps files into a .pdf. If we have to change the chapters, we can do so and then make new .ps files and a new .pdf. This has proven to be a safer way to work. Just a thought.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Phil ( a belated reply )

Thank you for your suggestions. I managed to find my way to doing exactly what you have suggested. I finished the document and have had it published in hard copy and have a copy for network users to view on the WAN. Everyone loves it and I have been asked to do another project in a similar manner.

Regards Kerry

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Kerry:
    Since you have 17 documents, you must make sure that all the styles are set up the same. If not, copy the styles from your original template to each of the documents. Set up the numbering in the template. You do this by placing a Heading 1 style in the template & making sure that your cursor is in this paragraph.

Gary Frieder worked out that whether you go to Format/Bullets & Numbering.../Customize or go to Format/Styles/Heading 1 style/Modify/Format/Bullets & Numbering, it comes out the same, BUT you must start with the Heading 1 level, even if you want to modify a lower level. Note: I still have Word 2000, so the dialog boxes & menus may be slightly more involved in your version.

1. With the cursor in the Heading 1 paragraph, go to Format/Bullets & Numbering.../Outline tab.
    2. Reset your legal numbering template by clicking in the one that's closest to what you want & click Reset.
    3. Without closing the dialog box, set up the Heading 1 numbering.
    4. Then go to level 2 (upper left corner of dialog box) & set the Heading 2 numbering WITHOUT CLOSING the dialog box.
    5. Repeat for each level you want WITHOUT CLOSING the dialog box. When you're done, then you can close the dialog box & save the template.
    6. Use the Organizer to copy your heading styles from the tempalate to each document. You can do this by opening your template & going to the Organizer. You'll see your template & normal.dot. Click the close button on normal.dot & navigate to your document folder. You'll have to change the "file type" from templates to "all files" or Word documents.

Hopefully, this will take care of the numbering problem. By the way, the Master Document feature is not recommended, so you were good to stay away from that.