3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Power supply for WinXP

I had a 6-year old Micro-ATX (2 x 5.25" and 2 x 3.5") case sitting on the shelf. I am considering to use this case to build a new system with Windows XP. However, the power supply of this case is broken. Can I just go to Fry's Electronics to get a new 300w power supply to replace the broken one? I want to make sure the combination of old case and new power supply will meet the power management requirements under Windows XP.

Banned Member
    Thanks

Re: Power supply for WinXP

Micro ATX is essential the same form factor as standard ATX, only with smaller wattage and physical size. A standard ATX power supply would work in a Micro ATX case if the physical dimensions fit . See here Micro ATX Power Supply

It seems from what I can find the biggest they offer for the older Micro ATX Cases is a 200 watt Power Supply. But thats not to say you can't find a standard 300 Watt ATX that would fit. Take the old Power Supply with you to make sure the new one will fit properly in the case.

Other then that, if your going with a Pent 4 with WinXP and new CD-Roms and stuff you might end up getting a new case. Which by the way you can pick some fairly nice ones up for a good price at Frys. I know alot of people don't like Frys, but I have bought some really good stuff from Frys at a great price, including Cases with 300 Watt ATX Power Supplies.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

cowboydawg, thanks for the response. I will make sure the size fits. Since this new PC is for my child,there will be only one hard drive and one CD-RW in it. I think the 200w should be enough to handle it.

Personally, I don't like the way Frys recycles the customer return merchandise. However, in the same token, its return policy makes me feel comfortable to buy the component from Frys. If it does not fit or work, I can return it without loosing a penny. For myself, in addition to the cost, restock charge and return shipping charge are to be considered when ordering from Internet stores.

Banned Member
    Thanks

Yeah. I really have had very little problems with Frys Stuff. The price makes it woth the chance most the time, plus you can always take it back. Good luck.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

200w won't be enough for the latest and fastest processors...so if you're running anything higher than about 1.2GHz, you'll need a 250 at a bare minimum.
    -Mark