2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Launching DB from a shortcut (Access 2000 )

I am not sure if I should be posting this here or in Windows XP, but here is the problem. I have a small peer-to-peer network

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Launching DB from a shortcut (Access 2000 )

I have Access97 and Access2000 on my laptop, and if I launch Access2000 after having run Access97, I get an "Installing" message, although it doesn't stop and offer me a menu. Apparently, there is some sort of registry entry that keeps track of the "last used" Access version. I don't know if this is related to your problem or not. You might try looking in the MSKB.
    Mark Liquorman
    See my website for Tips & Downloads and for my Liquorman Utilities.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Take a look at MSKB 221455 and see if that helps.
    Charlotte

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for your everyone's suggestions but still no fix. What is odd to me is that Access was installed under administrator account on the XP machine, and the shortcut works fine, when I change to any user account on the XP machine that is when I have problems. After sending post initially I also tried to load the Contact Management database that ships with Access 2000 - same problem. But any shortcut that calls a DB that doesn't use some type of startup menu loads fine. And if I open Access first then open the problem database it works fine. What on disc 2 is used or called by Access that would be needed when a startup menu is used. I have looked thru MSKB to no avail. Any other ideas.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I have finally solved the problem. Whatever file the WIndows installer was looking for could not install because the user account can't install any software, so I changed the user account to allow software installation and the file downloaded from disk 2?? what is on disc 2 that allows Access databases to be opened form a shortcut??? Anyway this has to be done for every user account that is created. After the problem was fixed set the user account back to not allowing program installation. Any ideas on what file it was looking for?
    Thanks everyone for your input.
    Shihalud