Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Mozilla won't open desktop shortcut (Mozilla 1.2.1)

Win 98SE. I don't have Mozilla as my default browser, but I did set up an option on my context menu (for internet shortcuts) to open a shortcut with Mozilla. (I have this set up for Netscape & Avant Browser also). The other browsers will open a shortcut but Mozilla won't. What happens is that the splash screen comes on & disappears...and then nothing. I can't figure out why this won't work.

I can't recall if it used to work or not, but it should. I set it up by going to Start/Settings/Folder Options.../File Types/Internet Shortcut/Edit/New & then browsing for mozilla.exe to open it.

Thanks in advance,

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Mozilla won't open desktop shortcut (Mozilla 1

Have you tried putting a shortcut to Mozilla.exe in your "WindowsSendTo" folder?

There may also be an issue if your Start Up configuration for mozilla is not to open just the browser. Usually, the way around this is to terminate the path with the "browser" switch: as in

"C:[some path or other]mozilla.exe" -browser

If you wish to use the "Open With" route, I think there may be a potential issue with "XBL Bindings" - which is somewhere that Windows differentiates itself from other OSes. HTH
    Gre

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Mozilla won't open desktop shortcut (Mozilla 1

Hi unkamunka:
    Thanks for the suggestions. I tried putting a shortcut to Mozilla in my SendTo folder. However, Mozilla opens with text, not a web page. e.g. I have a desktop shortcut to http://www.wizardskeep.org/mainhall/tutor/bootcdad.html. When I use SendTo, the address bar reads

file:///C:/WINDOWS/DESKTOP/HOWTOB~1.URL

& I get a text page that says

[DEFAULT]
    BASEURL=http://www.wizardskeep.org/mainhall/tutor/bootcdad.html

[InternetShortcut]
    URL=http://www.wizardskeep.org/mainhall/tutor/bootcdad.html
    Modified=A014FA9C322BC3016B

so that isn't working. I don't have Mozilla configured to start with anything other than as a browser. However, adding the command line
    -browser
    didn't make a difference.

I'm not sure what you mean about "XBL Bindings". I have been able to create the OpenWith option with both Netscape & Avant Browser, so I'm not sure why Mozilla is different. I wonder if it needs some additional command to have it open a tab? Any other ideas?
    Thanks again,