New Lounger
    Thanks

Using Form Fields in Headers (Word 2000)

Hello,

I'm using COM to access a Word document. In order to do this, I need to create some text form fields. I need to place them in a header. When I create my header, the option to create a text field is grayed out. How do I handle this?

Thanks,

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Using Form Fields in Headers (Word 2000)

Hi Allie:
    You can't place a form field in a header/footer. You can place it elsewhere, & use REF fields in the header/footer. What I've done to simulate form fields in a header is:
    1. Put a continuous section break at the top of your document. (OR, even better, File/Page Setup.../Layout/different first page for Header/Footers).
    2. Create a table with form fields, put it in a frame, & drag it so it looks like it's in the first page header. (Leave the real first page header blank.)
    3. Change the bookmark names for each form field, if you wish.
    4. Copy the table structure without the form fields & paste it in the header for subsequent pages.
    5. Put REF fields in the header that reference each form field in your first table.

If you do this, your table with form fields will only show up on the first page when your document is 1 page long, but will repeat for each subsequent page as your document expands.

Hope this helps,

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Form fields are meant to be filled in by the user; in a document protected for forms, the user can't edit headers and footers, and therefore form fields don't belong in a header or footer. You can't put them there the normal way, and if you copy and paste one from the body of the document onto a header or footer, you can't do anything with it.

If you explain what you want to accomplish, somebody may be able to suggest another way of doing it.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Phil,

Thanks, this is what I was looking for!

Allie.