Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Files named ~ (XP any)

There are a small number of these files with the filename as a single tilde character (~) lurking mainly in the Documents and Settings folders, all about 220 KB in size, all apparently with email addresses in them in Unicode, although a lot of the file is nulls.

Does anyone have any idea what these are, what creates them, can they be deleted, etc...?

Thanks!
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Banned Member
    Thanks

Re: Files named ~ (XP any)

I found this; It did not have the guys name he was just a guest on a forum. But it took me a lot of srolling to find it so I didn't bother trying to send you to the page at FILEext.Com. Hope this helps but I'm not sure cause you didn't mention your Desktop.

It is the result of a windows update 330994 patch. You get the temp file after a change is made to your address book in Outlook express. You can see if you have the patch by going to IE....Help...About and seeing if the patch is listed there. I made a change to my address book this morning and "Bingo" the file appeared!
    Here is the info I obtained! Phewwwwww! Glad that's over with!

One of the "fixes" from MS several months ago causes this glitch.
    What that file is (which I believe you will see is named "~") is your yourname.wa~ file which on my PC resides in C:WindowsApplication DataMicrosoftAddress Book .
    That file is the backup for yourname.wab (the OE Address Book). But now, after the glitch, the .wa~ file is no longer getting updated when you make a change to Address Book. Rather it goes to your Desktop as "~" instead of to C:WindowsApplication DataMicrosoftAddress Book as yourname.wa~.
    However, your Address Book, itself, is still getting updated. So unless you worry about the backup no longer being updated(what good is it, anyway??), you can delete the "~" file. Or if you cannot live without the updated backup .wa~ file, then just rename that suspicious "~" file to yourname.wa~ and send it to the C:WindowsApplication DataMicrosoftAddress Book folder (replacing the existing and now outdated yourname.wa~ file).
    Supposedly MS was working on a fix many months ago, but I have seen no announcement of one yet, and none of the recent MS fixes have cured the problem.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    That "~" (tilde) file is most probably appearing as the result of installing the "April 2003, Cumulative Patch for Outlook Express (330994)". Microsoft is aware of the problem and is supposedly working on a fix. Many people are experiencing this problem and from what I've read about this problem that icon will also reappear when you reply to an e-mail and you have your Outlook Express set up to enter the persons e-mail address to your address book whenever you reply to an e-mail. You can either just put up with it or follow the uninstall directions for the patch at the link below.
    here

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Files named ~ (XP any)

I think you've hit the nail on the head, because these "~" files do not exist on my work XP PC which uses Outlook 2002, but only on the home PC which uses Outlook Express! The only difference is that they're not on the desktop, but in ordinary folders. I'd certainly have that Cumulative Patch applied.

Thanks for the info! I can't see that the fix would be particularly difficult (i.e. get the filename right!)...

Later...
    I asked the question of Tom Koch, and he replied:

"Those are temporary backup copies of your address book. They should be deleted automatically when you close OE, but since Service Pack 1 they sometimes are not deleted. The OE team knows about the issue and will probably correct it in the next Service Pack. You can rename the ~ file to <anything>.WAB and open it as an address book, or you can simply delete it."
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...