Thanks

Chart Question (Excel 2000)

When is the search option coming back? This question might have been asked and answered before and I'd like a chance to look for it.

Anyway, down to the question. I've got a certain chart layout (see the attached example) that uses stacked bar charts to illustrate the impact of an action on a result. In the example, it shows that attending classes raised the test score from 35% to 65%. Studying raised it even higher (to 85%) but only studying the night before lowered it to 70%.

I can set the chart up so that it changes automatically if the percentages are changed. I'm using a macro to change the colour of the bars (blue being 'raised', red being 'lowered'). What I need to do is add a line (again, see example) that goes from one column to the next. I've used the autoshapes lines and connectors to put them in the example. However, these lines don't move if I change the numbers. So, you can probably see the question coming - how do I automatically get the lines to move up and down (stay attached to the bars) when the numbers change?

I'm going to investigate the option of stock price charts to see if that will work for me.
    (Location Australia, then UK, but now USA. Heart, outlook, attitude, etc always Australian)
    Quote: "All Happiness is the release of internal pressure"

Thanks

Re: Chart Question (Excel 2000)

Is this what you are after?
    I have the Positive and negative ones different ranges so they automatically will be colored differently when plotted
    I added a category BETWEEN each of yours for the "line". It is also a separate category and all it does is plot a "thin" stacked bar
    I "hid" the "base values" by having no fill or border

Steve

Thanks

Wow quick and good work. It does just what I'm after with one tiny draw back - the bars now look too far apart. Is there anyway of having some bars wide and some bars narrow? (And, yes, I know that that is nit picking)

I can always go back to the client and show them one with bars and one without (let them choose).

Thanks a bunch!
    (Location Australia, then UK, but now USA. Heart, outlook, attitude, etc always Australian)
    Quote: "All Happiness is the release of internal pressure"

Thanks

Double click on a series to format, options tab. gap width will change the gap width. It affects the bars and the "lines" (since they are all bars)

If you want the "lines" to be wider, will involve, adding a sec X-Axis and adding those to them. If you have the items on a sec X-Axis you can adjust the gap width for each separately.

Steve

Thanks

I had a chance to play. Here is what I alluded to. It is a slightly different format with the sec X-axis having more divisions.

Make sure the 2 Y-axes are scaled the same!!

Steve