Gold Lounger
    Thanks

XP Chkdsk Problems (Win XPP SP1 IE6SP1)

Ed SMBP--I started this thread to try to resolve Bob(Viking 33's) Chkdsk problems because we had drifted off the original thread--will make it list under chkdsk later--Hope this is all right.

Viking Wrote:
    __________________________________________________ _____________________________

Basically, I can't run chkdsk on ANY drive, IF I use a switch like /f or /r. When a modifier switch is used, then I get the disk in use message, try it at reboot. If I don't use a switch and just check for errors then all is OK. What really stumps me is when I check my G drive, which is ONLY a storage drive, without any active programs on it and I still get the drive in use message.So.... I can use chkdsk and the fix switch for example, only on reboot.

As I said, this isn't any big deal, just an annoyance that I can live with if necessary. AND, I only started this to see if there was a way to stop the chkdsk results page from flying off the screen so I could read it easily and without having to reboot to do it.
    __________________________________________________ _____________________________

Bob--

Gui Chkdsk

Sorry--If I missed something you've done. I don't run gui chkdsk but if I did, I'd check both of them, knowing that I'll get a 3 phase check (phases described in KB 314835). When the utility says it wants "exclusive access to the disk", I interpret that to mean close everything--and it's way of accomodating that is to run on boot when you click "yes." It'll tell you it ran when it's finished, and I imagine put a note in event log.

When you click "yes," it adds the AUTOCHK utility to this registry setting:
    HKLMSYSTEMCurrentControlSetControlSession ManagerBootExecute

Autochk is the automatic version of chkdsk that runs at startup, and this allows you to bypass it by pressing a key before the timeout, and you can modify this by either creating a DWORD value named AUTOCHKTIMEOUT in the above key setting the number of seconds you want for time out or using the CHKNTFS /T:[amount] command where amount is the number of seconds. CHKNTFS /T: 60 sets it at 60 seconds.

Chkdsk /r

Using chkdsk /r from a command prompt is the best and most thorough IMHO. You get five phases run. It's Chkdsk /f on steroids. It implies "f" and it recovers readable info. The bad sectors are physical errors on the disk surface, so getting the data from them safely is never guaranteed. "R" is useful when you get a report there is a bad sector, or you get a freeze every time you try to access a certain file.

I think you may get some help by booting into the Recovery Console, and running "chkdsk /r"--it seems to be more effective from there, and you may be able to get each drive there.

SMBP

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: XP Chkdsk Problems (Win XPP SP1 IE6SP1)

One additional slant on chkdsk that may help you or others is that you can type "chntfs d:" at the command prompt to find out if a drive is dirty--as explained in 218461

SMBP